cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox no longer requiring a password to save from Numbers on iPad

Highlighted

Dropbox no longer requiring a password to save from Numbers on iPad

Explorer | Level 3

I edit files in Numbers on my iPad, then use the 'share' function in Numbers to save the file to Dropbox.  I just noticed that I am no longer required to enter the Dropbox password when doing this now(probably changed in the last few weeks but I don't do it that often so I am only now noticing).  Previously it would prompt me for the Dropbox password, then let me pick the folder.  Now Dropbox seems to be allowing Numbers unfettered access.  

If I go to open the Dropbox app itself, I still get a password prompt, but I am concerned that something has changed here with access for Numbers.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

22 Replies 22
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox no longer requiring a password to save from Numbers on iPad

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @clira, I'd be more than happy to help look into this with you. 

I'll just need a bit more info to make sure I have a better understanding of your concern, such as:

• Are you saving the files from the Numbers app or the Files app on your iOS?
  • When you mention that you're prompted for the password every time you access your Dropbox account, are you referring to the mobile app or the website login? 
  • Could you send me a screenshot (without any personal details) just to have a better visual of this?

Looking forward to hearing back from you, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I am saving directly from the Numbers app to Dropbox(via the Numbers app's "Share" function).

I am prompted for my numeric Dropbox password if I access it directly on my iPad, but not if I save a file to it from Numbers.  That is what has changed.

in the picture below, I am saving directly from Numbers to the Dropbox app without being prompted for my Dropbox numeric password.

Thanks.

FCAAC31A-EC6B-4F07-821E-FB89CB70C5AA.png

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshots, @clira

Just to make sure we're on the same page, could you please clarify if you're referring to your Dropbox account's password or the four-digit passcode? 

If it's about the latter, could you try following these steps to enabling it again? 

Let me know how it goes, thanks!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I am referring to the 4-digit passcode for the Dropbox app, NOT the password used to access my account on the website.

I changed the Dropbox app numeric password, and once again saved from Numbers to Dropbox without a password prompt.  I then restarted my iPad in case there was some sort of caching going on somewhere, and repeated it with the same results. 

My guess is that something happened on the last app update and few weeks ago.  There was an update available this morning, which I applied, to no avail.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for clarifying that for me, @clira

Do you get the prompt for the passcode when you:

• Try to save a file from any other app to the Dropbox mobile app?
  • Open the Dropbox mobile app?

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Yes, as I have stated multiple times, if I access the Dropbox app directly, I still get a password prompt.  

I just saved a picture from the Photos app to Dropbox without a password prompt.

This is obviously not a glaring security problem as long as the app itself still prompts for the password.  And I get that I am a free user with limited support, but this has been going back and forth for a few days.  I think that this is a new bug introduced in a Dropbox update, is probably easily reproducible , and would be of concern given that it might be symptomatic of some other security vulnerability introduced.  I appreciate your help, but I am not interested in carrying forward with this topic anymore.

Thanks again.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @clira, just dropping in here!

We weren't actually able to replicate this issue on a device running the latest iOS version and mobile app version.

I understand if you don't want to continue looking into this anymore, but should you change your mind at any point, we'd be more than happy to help out!

Hope you have a great week ahead!

Daphne

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
I have this same problem. When uploading a photo on iPhone XS with latest iOS and Dropbox version it lets me save a photo to Dropbox without entering a passcode. This means someone with access to my device could browse all my folders and see file Ames and thumbnails of those files.
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for joining us here @Bobby247!

Would you mind clarifying the steps that you're taking to upload photos to Dropbox on your device?

I'd be happy to look into this further with you so any details you can provide on this would be very helpful.

Cheers!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?