cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox no longer uploading photos edited on iPhone?

Dropbox no longer uploading photos edited on iPhone?

Sarahmac
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Literally overnight, Dropbox has stopped uploading any photos that I’ve edited on my iPhone 8. The files just sit there forever stuck in waiting to upload mode. However, when I upload unedited photos, it works instantly. What’s happened? Any ideas? It’s always worked for me for years. What’s changed? Any help greatly appreciated. I’m using manual upload. Thank you.

35 Replies 35

xxberto89xx
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Hello, I was having the same issue: pictures taken with the portrait mode just waited there for the upload forever, but I think I maneged to find a workaround. After selecting the files to upload, you’ll find an option saying “Save HEIC photos as”, set by default as JPG, meaning that the app is going to convert the file before upload. Setting this value to HEIC resolved the upload problem, for me. Hope this helps. 🙂

Sarahmac
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Fantastic! This worked for me. Never seen that option before. Select HEIC instead of JPG and that solves it instantly. Thank you so much for a brilliant fix to such a frustrating problem!

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi everyone! 

Glad to see you have an option that solves this uploading issue. Even though this step uploads your files successfully, the HEIC file type cannot be opened using other Operating system devices. 

Please read through this article regarding HEIC files

I am still working on the cases I have open about this with Community users. I will get back to you with any additional information, solution or workaround. 

@alana86 I emailed you to work on your issue as well. I used the email address associated with your Community Profile. 

Thank you for your patience and for helping each other! 🙏 ( Special thanks @xxberto89xx )

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

xxberto89xx
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you @Fiona:slight_smile:

Well, yes. What you say is true, but here comes another funny thing. Just to be sure I double checked the photos I uploaded with my iPhone (after the previous problem, uploaded by leaving the HEIC setting to HEIC, NOT Jpeg) on a Win10 PC running Chrome.. I was expecting to see these files with .heic extension.. But they're all .JPGs. :no_mouth:

So.. Leaving the setting to JPG won't let us upload files, but changing this setting solve the problem but "break" the app, in fact converting them correctly.

Hope this other little clue helps you, and sorry for my bad english. :grin:

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for reporting what you tested. :dizzy_face:

Your English is perfect! I am reproducing as we speak. I will check with the rest of the users if their HEIC option uploads JPGs.

Thank you so much! 🙏

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I am actively investigating, I will get back to you with troubleshooting steps as soon as possible. 

Thank you! 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

alexikc
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi @Fiona,

It depends for me: I see JPG and also HEIC... I don't know the logic here.

Thanks,

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for your response @alexikc

Allow me to ask for my better understanding. So you choose to upload the edited JPG files selecting the "Upload as HEIC" option and sometimes they do revert to HEIC but some upload as JPG? :thinking:

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

alexikc
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@Fiona yes I confirm :thinking:

Sarahmac
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

When I upload the edited images in HEIC format, they are saved to my Dropbox as JPEGs and open perfectly in my Windows photo viewer. For me this has been a solution.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Sarahmac Helpful | Level 6
    Fiona Dropbox Staff
    Valleyofthesun2 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?