cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox no longer works

Dropbox no longer works

JG52
Explorer | Level 3

Whatever happened to this app? Dropbox used to be really simple. I'd take a picture with my iPhone, open the photo and dropbox apps, open dropbox on my computer and voila! the picture would be there. A year or so ago they made some major "upgrade," which as often as not means a downgrade, and the **bleep** thing doesn't work anymore, or at least is hit or miss, most often miss. It started to force me to open the program separately on my computer, then fiddle with all kinds of settings. Now it doesn't work at all. I reinstalled the program but I can't get pictures from my phone to my computer. I'm thinking I'll have to ditch it altogether and find another way to get them. If it ain't broke, for crying out loud, don't break it.

4 Replies 4

Re: Dropbox no longer works

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @JG52, thanks for contacting us!

What is the exact error message you're getting when uploading files from the phone via the Dropbox mobile app?

Are you using the automatic camera upload feature, or the manual upload feature instead?

Any other info or screenshots would be helpful!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

JG52
Explorer | Level 3

I'm not getting any error message. As I said, I get absolutely nothing. Nothing happens. The pictures don't transfer. I don't know anything about camera or manual upload; I don't even know where those settings are. I never had to do anything before except open the program. It was the "upgrade" that caused all this, as other people have also complained.

Jay
Dropboxer
If you don't know what camera uploads are, have you tried enabling the camera uploads on your mobile app using the steps in the previous article I posted?

If so, try disabling and re-enabling to see if this helps.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

JG52
Explorer | Level 3

I did know what camera uploads were, I just didn't know where they were. I looked in the account setting and found the links about turning on computer access, which was turned on. I followed your instructions and disabled it and restarted it, then had to reinstall the app. It seems to be working now, but this was actually all of what I did however long ago it was, when they upgraded. It seems to be working now. It also used to upload videos as well as photos to the camera upload file, then it stopped doing that, but with the reinstall it's doing it again. Who knows how long this will last and work properly? I don't know why any of this happened, or how I could have figured it out on my own. As so often happens, developers change this stuff without really testing it or understanding that it's not working the way users want it to. Anyway, thanks very much for your help. I couldn't have fixed it without your taking the time and effort.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JG52 Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?