cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox not sync big files for months

Dropbox not sync big files for months

Explorer | Level 4

A am using Dropbox for years. Mostly as a instant backup. Recently I started using two big files (1GB a 0.5GB), encrypted drives. Two weeks later my laptop cannot start. I used older one. I was surprised that these two files (at least) are old, not synced with the last state. The last state is months ago! Fortunately the disk from laptop was ok and Now I am copying data to new laptop.

But I dont believe dropbx anymore. Dropbox didnt report any error, any message, I made many changes. After each restart there was a time when the file was not used - available for sync. There was a free space at least 1GB on the Dropbox.

Do you know any tip, how to be sure that all files are synced?

13 Replies 13

Re: Dropbox not sync big files for months

Dropboxer

Hey @vlkvlk, I'm sorry to hear about that!

Could you let me know which version of the app you have installed at the moment?

Did you happen to check the sync status of the app after making the most recent changes to the files to see if it was showing "Up to date" or "Syncing"?

Also, did you have any other files that you may have edited after this file that was synced and showing the latest version in Dropbox?

Let me know and we'll take it from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for reaction.

Now, in this "backup" old notebook I have a version 103.4.383. If you asked which version of Dropbox was/is on the broken laptop, I dont know. The laptop is gone I have only data on SSD (not at this moment, the rescue of data is hell) and I dont know how to find out version of Dropbox when Dropbox is not running. But I suppose it was the latest version I saw some updates in the mean time.

Up to date.

Many files (the size of them was up to few megabytes).  Before the laptop gone, Every day I changed some files. The files was synced, then Dropbox was up to date. Since I have two dropbox clients regurely using (laptop and mobile phone), I am pretty sure that many files since April was correctly synced and downloaded into mobile phone.

The strange things about the big files:
The first file (1GB) was created in 2018. Dropbox show as a modified data 2/20/2018, what could be date of creating the file. On the server there is history of the file and there is one version from April 20, 2020.

The second file (0,5GB) was created in 2020. Dropbox show as a modified data 5/28/2020, what could be date of creating the file. On the server there is history of the file and there is one version from May 28, 2020.

I have now more than 3 GB free space on the Dropbox.  

Dropboxer

Thanks for the info. For some reason, it seems that changes weren't syncing from the old device to the Dropbox site.

If, as I understand it,these files were encrypted virtual drives, and you mounted them on your machine, did you ever unmount the files in order for the changes to sync to the site? If a virtual drive is mounted, it is considered 'active', and so changes would not sync at all until the file is saved and no longer in use.

As the laptop is no longer in use, it wouldn't be possible to determine what caused this. However, if you do experience this issue in future, please let me know!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Yes, at least after every restart there was some time to sync the files. And at least the smaller one was a lot of time not mounted. 

The old laptop is not available, but all data is available. If it is possible anything get from the files, let me know which file do you need, or what sort of information of file you need.

Dropboxer

There isn't any info we would be able to get now from the device, as we need to see the status of the app while it is syncing to understand what was happening back then.

If you get the same issue on the current device, please keep me updated.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 4

Ok, I think I have the same problem again. I have a new notebook with Dropbox. I used data from broken laptop. There was conflicted copy. I delete the old one and renamed. Dropbox was synchronizing. but after few seconds was up to date. I checked. And on the server there are still both files.

Only 1GB file has this problem, 0,5GB is just one version.

Dropboxer

Could you clarify where the issue is? The site has two copies of the same file, and the computer doesn't, or is it the version history of the files?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 4

Now, the problem is "The site has two copies of the same file, and the computer doesn't".
I suppose is somehow related with previous problem, when my laptop wasnt the same file as server.

Dropboxer

Are the files named differently, such as having a (1) after the name? If so, how is it possible to be on the site, but not the machine? Does the second file have any incompatible characters in the name which could prevent it from syncing?

Do you see any sync errors on the Dropbox desktop application when clicking the system tray icon, then the avatar on the top right?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?