cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox not syncing across devices

Dropbox not syncing across devices

ErnieDee
Explorer | Level 4

I use Dropbox on my iMac, my laptop, my iPhone, and my iPad.

I recently had a hard drive failure on the iMac, and the technician had to replace the drive and install a fresh version of the OS. I had a backup of my data, and restored from it to the new hard drive. I also redownloaded all non-native Mac apps.

For the 2 1/2 weeks my iMac was in the shop, I did some work on my laptop that I now want to put on my iMac. When I click and drag the items into my laptop Dropbox, I see them and they appear to upload fully -- but on my iMac and my iPhone Dropboxes, they're not there.

I know I'm doing something wrong, but what is it? I've never had this problem before. Thank you.

9 Replies 9

Re: Dropbox not syncing across devices

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hello there @ErnieDee, I'd be happy to help out on this. 

It sounds like the desktop app may not be running or syncing on either your laptop or your iMac. 

You can check that by seeing if you're able to locate the Dropbox icon next to your computer's clock. 

Also, have a look through the website and see if you're able to locate the changes you've made on your laptop. 

Give me a shout with any updates, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ErnieDee
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks, @Lusil.

When I open Dropbox via the desktop Menu icon, I don't see any of the recent items I added on my laptop. I also have a Dropbox folder in my sidebar list of Favorites, and when I look there, I don't see them either. Same thing when I log in via the Dropbox website.

I do notice that ten older items are marked as having been modified at 5:49 a.m. today, and I'm not sure why. Thanks for any additional help you can offer!

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey there @ErnieDee; sorry to be jumping in here, but could you post a screenshot of the desktop app's status as shown in your menu bar

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ErnieDee
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for your reply, @Walter.

Is this what you wanted to see?

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 8.29.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 8.29.21 AM.png

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @ErnieDee, we'll need to see what the syncing status is. 

This should come up when you hover over the Dropbox icon in your screenshot, or at the bottom of the pop up menu. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

ErnieDee
Explorer | Level 4

Like this?

I don't know much, but I know this is probably not ideal!

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 11.00.59 AM.png

Lusil
Dropboxer
Awesome, thank you for the screenshot! That definitely helps.

Since your desktop app is up to date, it means that it should be syncing as per normal. 

Do you see the files in question when you navigate through the website?

How about when you copy and paste the files instead? Do you get the same experience?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

ErnieDee
Explorer | Level 4

@Lusil 

When I log into the website, the Recents tab shows me a few older documents I've opened recently, but none of the new stuff, including something I just put into Dropbox on my laptop.

And when I open the Dropbox folder on my desktop and sort by recent activity, there's nothing more recent than March 6, which is why my iMac went in for repairs.

On my iPhone app, I don't see any of the recently-added documents if I use Home > Recents or the Files tab.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Could you try opening and editing a file locally to see if it appears in Recents? 

How about when you upload an item to the website? 

Also, make sure that you're looking through the same account on the web and all other connected devices. 

You can do that by checking the email address that you used to sign in with. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?