cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Only synking after restarting dropbox on the computer

Dropbox not syncing - as of about 2 days ago

RobLatour
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

My dropbox folder on my Windows 10 (v20H2) PC has stopped syncing.

I think perhaps it was because I ran an automated upgrade to the Dropbox software yesterday and perhaps something went wrong - but I am not sure about that.

Regardless, here what I have tried to get it working again, and my current situation:

I tried all the steps here: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/files-update-issues

Also, I completely uninstalled Dropbox from my machine and installed it again.  I am signed on correctly and can see all my other dropbox files/folders just fine; they all have a green circle with a checkmark in them; they are also all present as expected.

I reviewed some past community posts, one suggested the use of a tool called ISS Crypto, which I installed and ran, followed by a reboot - but still no love.

What is not happening, but had worked for months and months, is I am creating a Dropbox file thru the use of a service called IFTTT and once that file is created and synced to my PC, a program running on my PC opens it up, processes it, and deletes it.

However, now, while the file is getting created by IFTTT it is not being synced to my PC as it had in the past.

Originally, I thought that the problem might have been with IFTTT, but it is not (see notes below).

Having that said, if I sign on to dropbox.com and navigate to the folder that I expect the file to be created in, and then trigger IFTTT to create the file, I see it being created via the web interface (following a refresh my browser (chrome)) and in that case it is then immediately synced to my computer as it should be.

I checked my syncing options and they seem correct.  Some of the documentation said I could disable selective sync but I don't see that option as one which exists now.   Regardless, the folder and subfolder in which the file is being created are both 'checked' to be synced - and as I mentioned, when I am signed onto the dropbox.com site and refresh my browser it all works fine.  It just does not work without me doing that.

I've spent several hours today trying to work this out, but am at a loss and am now reaching out for support.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

39 Replies 39

Demhall
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, I got an issue with phone not synking to the computers dropbox untill I restart Dropbox on the computer.
This started just a couple of days ago, I have tried running it as admin, clearing cashe, reseting selective synking. Untilstalling and installing the program on both phone and the computer.
But it's still the same... 
The firewall has it as allowed app, my anti-virus has it as allowed to share everything.

I really cannot find a way to get this to work. 

Any ideas?

RobLatour
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It seems to be back working again.  But only after I disconnected my IFTTT applet and then connected that same IFTTT applet again.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@RobLatour, No any applet is guilty. 🙂 Seems Dropbox has fixed its system relatively fast! 🧐 Something very rare (don't to say like never before). 🤷

Let's hope, we can see such (or similar, at least) speed for many other ongoing troubles. 🙄 Let's hope...

Emma
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi all,

Thank you for reporting this issue, the team have now resolved this.

Please let us know if we can help with anything else!

RobLatour
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you

funkusty
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My Desktop version of dropbox is dropping out and losing the abilty to green ticks and or share files. This is seriously slowed my workflow and costing money.  

Dropbox are you listening.

Russell

petera2
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

The issue is not fixed on my workstation. Dropbox on my laptop seems to be working fine in that it can upload files, but still cannot get new files and updates from my workstation. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @funkusty & @petera2; if you're still having issues with this, could you reboot your computers and let us know if syncing gets stuck again? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

petera2
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Did a restart and a full shutdown. Dropbox sync is still stuck.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the quick follow up @petera2; much appreciated!

If it's stuck at the exact same number of files for an unusually large amount of time (this could depend on the size of your Dropbox folder), can you try fixing your hardlinks and permissions as outlined here?

Keep us in the loop!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?