cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox not syncing files

Dropbox not syncing files

phoenixfury7
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I use my dropbox a lot, but for the past couple of day I guess it hasn't been syncing my files? I was just going through the folder and most stuff has the green checkmark, but the most recent stuff has the blue syncing icon. The status icon says "connecting". My computer is connected to the internet so I don't know what the issue is. Using the dropbox program on windows

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@phoenixfury7 wrote:

None of that seemed to work. I am using basic and my version is updated to 48.4.58. If I restart my computer, will I lose the files that have not uploaded yet?

Hello, @phoenixfury7...

Thank you for posting more information.

The files reside in the Dropbox folder on your hard drive so restarting your computer won't cause files to be lost.  After your computer restarts and the Desktop Client loads again, it will merely continue syncing from where it was prior to the restart.

Since you mentioned that you have a Basic account, please confirm that you're not over your storage space limitations (eg: 750 MB of 2 GB used).

View solution in original post

23 Replies 23

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@phoenixfury7 wrote:

I use my dropbox a lot, but for the past couple of day I guess it hasn't been syncing my files? I was just going through the folder and most stuff has the green checkmark, but the most recent stuff has the blue syncing icon. The status icon says "connecting". My computer is connected to the internet so I don't know what the issue is. Using the dropbox program on windows

Hello, @phoenixfury7...

I'm giving you a few suggestions to try in case I'm not around when you come back to post your progress.  Worst case senario is that we can alleviate a few culprits as the cause.

First, let's start by checking your current storage space level since you didn't specify what type of account you use (eg: BasicIndividual or Team).

How much storage space is available when you look here (eg: 900 MB of 2 GB used)?  If you're over your storage quota then your files won't sync (upload).

In addition, be sure to run the bad files check as instructed in the Help Center article.

Also, what version of the Desktop Client are you using (hover mouse over the Dropbox icon).

I recommend that you try the newest stable build (offline installer) vs any beta versions that are available (eg: v49.3.67).  After installing it, please restart your computer.  Be certain that you use the same Dropbox login credentials when you sign-in to the Desktop Client.

PLEASE NOTE:  To prevent from receiving early releases of the beta versions of the Desktop Client... login to your Dropbox General page, scroll downward to the "Early Release" section and make sure that it's OFF (view screenshot below).

If image doesn't load... refresh your browser, F5. Otherwise try again later

I've included a few Help Center articles listed below, this way you can read them at your leisure (if needed).

HELP CENTER ARTICLES:

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @phoenixfury7! Thanks for posting your question on the forum! Welcome aboard! 

I just wanted to follow up on this & ask if you were able to check out what @310EI suggested? Are you still encountering this issue or were you able to resolve your concern in the end? 

Please do keep us updated on the matter here & let us know if you have any additional questions. In the mean time, have a grand day ahead and I look forward to hearing back from you:grin:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

phoenixfury7
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

None of that seemed to work. I am using basic and my version is updated to 48.4.58. If I restart my computer, will I lose the files that have not uploaded yet?

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@phoenixfury7 wrote:

Hello, @phoenixfury7...

Thank you for posting more information.

The files reside in the Dropbox folder on your hard drive so restarting your computer won't cause files to be lost.  After your computer restarts and the Desktop Client loads again, it will merely continue syncing from where it was prior to the restart.

Since you mentioned that you have a Basic account, please confirm that you're not over your storage space limitations (eg: 750 MB of 2 GB used).

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @phoenixfury7, thanks for your swift follow-up on this!

I understand that this is important to you, and for this reason I’d kindly suggest continuing this discussion via email in order to further troubleshoot for you. You could either let me know if you’d prefer to be reached out directly via email, or you could go ahead and submit your concern via https://www.dropbox.com/support

If you do send us a ticket, please reply to me here with the ticket ID & I’ll make sure that a colleague gets on it as soon as possible. 

I’ll be awaiting your next reply on this discussion here. Thanks in advance and hope you have a great day! :grin:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey phoenixfury7, I was wondering if you were able to locate the source of this discrepancy with the admittedly very detailed steps @310EI included above. Have you been able to try if the issue you're facing is solved by re-installing Dropbox? 

As I’ve been unable to locate any open tickets on our System, I’ve made sure to create a Support Request on our system on your behalf, so as to focus on the issue in question based on the info I have on my tools for your account & move forward together. Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly follow-up with you from where we’ve left off here. 

Thanks again & I’m wishing you a wonderful weekend ahead! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

borghz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have files that I've saved in the dropbox folder on my computer but they aren't syncing so I can access them on my phone.

Then when I try and move those same files from that dropbox folder to my computer's hard drive they are just short cuts.

Can anyone help me? These files are university notes, pdfs and transcripts I need for upcoming exams and I'm very worried as I need to access the original files.

Thanks.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @borghz, thanks for posting on our Community and sorry to hear about your syncing issue.

To have a better look into this, could you tell me if the desktop app is running normally on your computer?

If so, is it showing 'up to date' in your system tray/menu bar or is it still syncing?

Let me know, and we'll take it from there.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Shyam Vardhan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dropbox files are not syncing

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    tomballard New member | Level 2
    Regc Helpful | Level 6
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?