cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox not syncing: macOS Catalina 10.15.3, DB 89.4.278

Dropbox not syncing: macOS Catalina 10.15.3, DB 89.4.278

KarstenSilz
New member | Level 2

Dropbox doesn't sync properly anymore. Occasionally, files do go through, but only after a couple of days, if at all. Yesterday, for instance, I created a new folder. I put a new file in there and moved another one from a different folder in there. 315 KByte in total, and they are still showing as "syncing" in the Finder. Dropbox is either offlline or syncing, showing either "Syncing 2 files" or "Connecting" in the Dropbox app status bar at the bottom:

Dropbox sync issues.png

Before my upgrade to macOS Catalina 10.15, Dropbox was working fine on my machine. I upgraded late in December and honestly don't know if it was ever working properly on Catalina. 

Here are my attempts at fixing this:

• The solution mentioned on another posting didn't work for me because in the "Account" tab, "Fix permissions" doesn't show up for me.
  • I use AdGuard, a system-wide ad blocker proxy. I have "https://dropbox.com" whitelisted, and it worked with AdGuard enabled just fine in macOS Mojave. I disabled AdGuard, restarted Dropbox, but that didn't help.
  • I restarted Dropbox with AdGuard enabled.
  • In the System Preferences, "Security & Privacy" - "Privacy", I gave Dropbox "Full Disk Access". It (then?) was already enabled in "Files and Folders" with "Full Disk Access".

Does anybody know how to fix this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox not syncing: macOS Catalina 10.15.3, DB 89.4.278

KarstenSilz
New member | Level 2

Ha, the problem was in front of the Mac! I'm using Powerline to get Ethernet over the power plug. It's the primary network connection for my Mac, with WiFi being secondary. Powerline occasionally hangs, as it did just now. As soon as I unplugged the Ethernet cable and WiFi took over, Dropbox worked again. Yay...

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Fiona
Dropboxer

Happy to be the first to help you in our Community @KarstenSilz:slight_smile:

I appreciate the detailed description and knowing the steps you have taken to fix this. 

Since you don't see the fix link permissions option we definitely need to reinstall

Not to worry, this will not remove the local Dropbox folder with any files that have not yet synced and it will not affect the files saved in the Dropbox cloud. 

After you reinstall, take the steps to speed it up and if you see the "fix permissions" option, please take the steps.

Let me know how this goes! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

KarstenSilz
New member | Level 2

Hello Fiona!

I uninstalled DB completed, rebooted, then reinstalled DB. I had to unlink 8 devices, but got DB started again. But same old, same old:

• No "Fix permissions" on the "Account" tab when holding [Alt]
  • DB either offline or syncing

I disabled proxies in "Network" - "Proxies" and disabled "Network" - "LAN sync" to no avail.

Any more suggestions?

KarstenSilz
New member | Level 2

One more thing: During the install, a "Welcome" screen popped up. It wanted to show me some remote content but failed to do so. Didn't take a screenshot, though. :unamused:

KarstenSilz
New member | Level 2

Ha, the problem was in front of the Mac! I'm using Powerline to get Ethernet over the power plug. It's the primary network connection for my Mac, with WiFi being secondary. Powerline occasionally hangs, as it did just now. As soon as I unplugged the Ethernet cable and WiFi took over, Dropbox worked again. Yay...

View solution in original post

Fiona
Dropboxer

Happy to hear it was not a Dropbox issue. 

Hope to see you again in another discussion in our Community. 

Cheers! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

mymgraphics
Explorer | Level 4

After 3 months of this BS, I finally found a solution. I FIXED IT! With no help from anyone at this company. Seriously this was such an easy fix and it has dragged on for months making my job much harder and more time consuming. Customer support is a joke and if my clients did not use this company I would close my account ASAP.

I choose Command I with my Home folder selected. I made sure the permissions were all set to Read & Write then I unlocked the panel and choose "Apply to enclosed items". It took a while for the permissions to all update. I restarted and now it syncs perfectly. Hope this helps. 

Not even a phone number for support? WTF?

Benjamin H.8
Helpful | Level 5

For those unable to see the “Fix permissions” button, this worked for me on a Mac (10.15.3) and Dropbox 

1. Go to the account tab in Dropbox preferences.
  2. Press “Unlink This Dropbox…”, then “Cancel” in the dialog that follows.
  3. Now hold Alt/Opt and other buttons may appear, including “Fix permissions…”

It appears you must go through this unlink/cancel step every time when you switch to the account tab, before the extra options will appear on pressing Alt/Opt.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Benjamin H.8 Helpful | Level 5
    mymgraphics Explorer | Level 4
    Fiona Dropboxer
    KarstenSilz New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?