cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox not syncing on Mac (Mojave 10.14.6)

Helpful | Level 5

Hello,

I am running Dropbox on MacOS Mojave (10.14.6) and my files stopped syncing. When I click app icon in the tray, it says it is syncing but this state is there for several days and theres a few hundred of files. 

Tried to quit and start the app and also unlink account and link it again. It didn't help. 

What can I do? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox not syncing on Mac (Mojave 10.14.6)

Helpful | Level 5

Hello Walter,

I found where was the problem: there was a file/folder causing syncing problems. I just clicked my avatar within Dropbox popup and where it says "up to date" (screen below with red arrow) - there was the name of the file/folder. I simply deleted it from my machine and problem solved. 

Thanks for your help anyway!

Screenshot 2019-10-21 at 19.09.17.png

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @Agilek - happy Monday and welcome to our Community!

I'm sorry to hear about your syncing issue - let's have a look now.

Could you first send me the exact status of the desktop app as shown within the affected computer's menu bar so I can have a visual too?

In addition, do you happen to use symlinks? I'm only asking as these can be the culprits behind such syncing behaviors in which case you can find out more about them and how to remove them in the following Help Center article - specifically step 7: 

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/high-cpu-usage

I hope this helps and please keep me posted on your findings!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hello Walter, here's visual for the status: https://gfycat.com/ChillyNegligibleHorseshoecrab

I am not aware of any symlinks on my machine... 

Thanks for your help! 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for checking this out for me @Agilek!

As per the desktop app's status, I'm afraid I wasn't able to access this link. Could you use one of the buttons shown below?

Attach image.png

Thanks again!

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hello Walter,

I found where was the problem: there was a file/folder causing syncing problems. I just clicked my avatar within Dropbox popup and where it says "up to date" (screen below with red arrow) - there was the name of the file/folder. I simply deleted it from my machine and problem solved. 

Thanks for your help anyway!

Screenshot 2019-10-21 at 19.09.17.png

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I am running 10.14.6 and having this excact same issue.

Fisrt it has been syncing 161 files for a few days starting last week. Now i tried uninstalling and reinstalling the application and it has begun to get worse syncing 612 files now. I previously tried all other trouble shooting threads, fixing permissions, restarting etc. 

This has become a serious issue for me, as the eternal syncing is corrupting my photoshop files and i have just noticed it backs up some files but not others. It is also super random which files are in the eternal sync loop. Including folders no one has touched for years.

This has also slowed down my mac considerably.

How did you find the folder that was causing issues?

I have been in contact with dropbox support team, but have heard nothing back after the intial correspondence. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 10.37.46 AM.png

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I'm sorry to hear about this @brett k.

Initially, I was wondering if it's still stuck on the exact same amount of files and if you've rebooted the affected device at all lately so please let me know what you find. 

Also, could you check if there are any issues with your syncing process by clicking on the 'View Sync Issues' as shown within @Agilek's screenshot?

Moreover, note that I passed your comments on to your existing ticket so we can have all the relevant information under one place. I also bumped its priority so you should be hearing from the team soon. 

If there's anything else to ask or add in the meantime, do let me know Brett; I'll be happy to follow up. 

Walter

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?