cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox not syncing on one computer

Dropbox not syncing on one computer

Explorer | Level 3

I've had two computers and one phone syncing for years just fine (dropbox basic).  However, at some point one computer started failing.  No messages, etc.  Control panel says syncing, but there's no sync error/messages - it just spins there for days.  (other two are syncing).  Can't determine when this started (covid, so I only RDP in rarely), but been a couple weeks now.

After a variety of easier tests, I moved towards nuclear.  I uninstalled dropbox, and then reinstalled (didn't use the "backup your PC folders) and re-sync'd - no joy (same thing) - in fact, it will not sync a single file (other two are syncing all files fine).  I've verified from windows control that it's using the correct account [shows the same usage 48% and etc] and signed in - so actual account looks ok.  Interestingly, when I try the selective sync, it will say "coldn't load folders right now.  Try again later." I've gone to dropbox.com, and attempted to unlink this PC (to then re-sign in, read that in another thread here).  That seemed to unlink but when I re-signed in, still no change.

Not sure what else to try except remove all my files except a test from all dropbox, but I'm trying to avoid that until last.  Ideas?

10 Replies 10

Re: dropbox not syncing on one computer

Explorer | Level 3

(when I say "not syncing a single file", I mean I deleted the dropbox folder before re-installation, so when it installed it created a new one and said it would sync to this new install.  but not a single file has shown up)

Re: Dropbox not syncing on one computer

Dropboxer

Hello there @zenfridge, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

Just to have a better idea of your current setup, please let me know the following.

If you click the Dropbox icon in your menu bar/system tray, can you send along a screenshot of the sync status shown there?

Also, can you let me know what version of the app you have installed? You can see this by hovering over the Dropbox icon.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks   @Daphne for answering!

Ironically, I found that the dropbox on the computer that IS working was out of date (111.x.xxx, can't remember).  I don't know why it wasn't autoupdating, but I updated it.  However, the one that was NOT working was and is current - 112.4.321.  (so they're both at that now)

Here's a screenshot.  There you can see the almost empty dropbox folder (should be more stuff there), the dropbox sync issues ("Personal - No errors"), and the main dropbox showing it is syncing still.  I created the file test.txt on 12/16.  Since then, the system has been rebooted at least once.  But you can see (hopefully) it still hasn't synced that one file - after 6+ days.  I don't want to include personal info in the screenshot, but I again verified it has my account info and name in the config, and actually correctly shows the space consumed - so it's logged in with the right account....  The screenshot:

Screenshot 2020-12-22 08.55.13.png

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshot @zenfridge!

I noticed that you're remotely accessing this computer, are you able to physically access the computer?

If so, and the app appears to still be stuck syncing, can you try temporarily disabling any antivirus or firewalls? They could be interfering in the connection of the app.

Also, please check out this article if you're connecting via a proxy.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the continued suggestions @Daphne!

Normally at home due to covid, but have physical access to system.  Went in, but sync attempts after local reboot, etc. showed no different behavior than previously.

No proxy used in the past (when this was working) or present (don't have one to use anyway).

Verified dropbox allowed in all firewall (domain, private, public), but turned off ANYWAY - no change.

Turned off Powerbroker, which has in the past caused issues with some other applications - no change.

Turned off Defender (virus) - no change.

(restarted dropbox service after each antivirus/powerbroker/firewall shut down, just to be sure)

What's next?

Dropboxer

Regarding the proxy, what is the proxy settings in the Dropbox desktop application? Could you try switching it to Auto or None to see if this helps?

Are you able to access the Dropbox.com site normally via a browser on that machine?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks @Jay!

Proxy is currently set to auto.  I set it to none.  I gave it 10 minutes, no change/effect, but will watch it later today.

Yes, can access dropbox.com from a web browser just fine, and can verify the account/pass/usage are the same between web browser and windows application.  It's logging in to the account fine as far as I can tell (e.g. reporting usage) - just not syncing files.

Web dropbox.com shows correct files (all that my phone and "good" computer can see), including recently added Camera upload.  App still shows none, except the one test file I put local on "bad computer" for syncing the other way.  (that hasn't shown up anywhere else).

Dropboxer

Thanks for the info, would it be possible to contact you at the email associated with your forum profile to look into this further?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

Absolutely @Jay   I am not sure if you can see that as a mod, so I've temporarily turned on email address visibility.  Contact away!!

Thanks so much!

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?