cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox not syncing with endless dowloading

Explorer | Level 3

Last couple of days i found out that mine computer no 2 isnt downloading files uploaded from no 1 computer and that app is in constant downloading, version is 84.4.170, windows 7 64bit SP1 on both comps. So to cut the story short trying to solve the problem i ended with deleting all dropbox apps, unlinking all, deleting all files from folders and from online storage including deleted files, and then start all over from begining but the problem persisted if i put file in dropbox folder 1 (comp1) the file is properly sync online but on the dropbox folder2 (comp2) the app is in constant downloading only thing changing is in dropbox folder .dropbox.cache/new_files where the file is downloaded and it's duplicating over time, the same thing happends if i add file in folder2 it uploades normal but on comp1 is the same issue constant download, the deletion of file from either folder works normal deleting it from cloud and ending the constat downloading on oposite computer .

The problem also happends using goodsync and api connection if goodsync uploads file on comp1 it uploads it on cloud but on comp1 it doesnt download it instead it stays in constant downloading, no errors are reported.

9 Replies 9
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox not syncing with endless dowloading

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @Justicio. Thank you for the detailed description of this situation.

Can I get a screenshot of the duplicate cache logs you located, to better understand the issue? 

Please test your ISP connection speed with this test: http://www.speedtest.net

Kindly send me a screenshot of your bandwidth settings and the version of Dropbox installed on your devices. 

Finally, let me know if you have an API set up for Dropbox.

Thank you for your patience!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Ok now im not having any files in folders and i added two pdf in comp1 folder, on the comp2 it says downloading as per picture, and in the cache folder there are numerous files that represent two pdf added on comp1 folder but as you can see these files are duplicating trough time and all represent two pdfs. They exist on the cloud normaly. And on comp1 dropbox app info saying up to date

As i said in previos message version is 84.4.170, windows 7 64bit SP1 on both comps, and i use goodsync software to backup data on dropbox wich uses api to connect (for now goodsync is disabled for backuping on dropbox)

bandwith.jpgcache.jpgDropbox info.png

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Update of previous message so after some time it looks like that the cache is purged leaving less files but obviosly the files cant go from cache to place where they suppose to go for some reasoncache2.jpg

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Update i spend the morning trying to solve it but i dont think its problem on mine side

1. I tried on both comps update to beta 85.3.138 problem not resolved

2. I tried on both comps reversing to previous versions 82.4.155 and 80.4.126 and 77.4.131 (disabling update) problem didnt resolve so i figure its not application problem because problem arrise in last 20 days

3. Tryed placing dropbox folder on different drive and checking security setting on first dropbox place didnt solve the problem and security settings are all alowed nothing wrong there

4. Tryed from beginning unlinking all and linking one app and uploading a .pdf file trough web page on the dropbox cloud then shuting down all posslible processes that i could problem didnt resolve

So by now i think its some server-cloud problem interacting with application, because only thing that is not working is downloading, uploading works fine and i ruled app problem by reversing to old version before problem started, and the problem is on two computer so basicly it is funny that the problem is on both and i didnt have major updates on computers so ruling out possible windows problem and probably other app messing arround ?. And one thing is funny dropbox info says syncing 1 and downloading 1 but when im open the window it says syncing 2 files and there is only one file uploaded to cloud maybe that says something

Dropbox info1.jpg

dropbox window.jpg

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, @Justicio!

Could you also check if there's a third party app, like a security software, that's potentially blocking or hindering the desktop app from syncing?

You could try temporarily disabling your antivirus as well to see if that does the trick. 

Let us know how it goes!

Lusil

Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Justicio,

having excacly same issue, which I've reported about 3 weeks ago:
https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Files-folders/My-desktop-app-is-stuck-at-syncing-two-days-now-Any-id...
Dropbox on computer A works, but on computer B only upload is ok, download is stucked.
With selective sync set to single file - dropbox shows: syncing 4 files (why, if only 1 file was set to sync - I don't know). But it never downloads any file from Dropbox cloud.

If I put some file in local Dropbox folder (same as you - with GoodSync) - computer B uploads it correctly.

Bad news is that Dropbox Support while trying to help - is ultra slow with few days average response time.
And every second answer is:  "I just wanted to update you and let you know our engineers still working on this. I'll get back to you as soon as I have more information. Thank you for your patience."
That's how last three weeks passed...

Hoping to finally find a solution.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Mycu. Thanks for connecting this thread to your original one. I located the ticket you have with our team. We will keep you updated via email.

@Justicio I appreciate all your efforts to troubleshoot this. What does the "View sync issues" button report for this? Does it give you the name of the other file? 

If you haven't already, please update back to our latest stable version and reboot your computer. I think older versions will not help. 

Let me know if you have already created a ticket about this. 

Thanks! 

Fiona

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

No I didnt create the ticket 

So update of the problem i have partially solved the problem but doesnt mean its solved so time will tell and the hole problem isnt solved just part.

I noticed yesterday that on mine desktop comp dropbox is working it was funny so i went to investigate preceding of that was moving the dropbox folder to another partition (i nedded to move it from original partition C at  that time) but that was funny too as you recall in previous post i already did that change but that time to partition E and it didnt work this time moving was on partition D and then i tryed on all other partitions  that i have F and G and it worked on those F and G partitions so focus right on was on security permissions i went to see D permissions and made the same od E partition but still the dropbox didnt work if folder was on E partition then i tryed chkdsk on E and paragon file system integrity check on E and nothing wrong with that so why wasnt it working on E partition.Then i tryed msconfig with load only system services and disabaling Avg antivirus and all programs no change  then i started shutting down one service by the time avoiding internet related and that didnt change.

Next i went on mine laptop where i have 3 partitions with last one E fat32 serviced partition i tryed there second D partition and it didnt work again then went changing security permisions with no progress, so C and D there are not working did chdsk and file system integrity, then went to format that fat32 partition E to ntfs and then on that partition dropbox started to work why there has to be some solution, than went to computer menagment and changed drive letter D path to Drive letter F and than reverse it to D again and then all the sudden dropbox is working on D partition, went on mine desktop comp where E didnt work and did the same change the letter path E to I and reverse it back to E and dropbox started to work on that partition E (but only after restart this time). The only problem is that I cant do this on windows system partition C so its a partial solution. But question is why that has to do with the problem and why  the problem started all the sudden .I have dropbox at least 5-6 years on same windows.

So dropboxers i think that yours programers have to take a look at this because only they know how the program works and iteracts with windows and drive paths.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I greatly appreciate the additional info @Justicio

I have not been able to locate similar reports in the Community and I believe since this is device specific, we should look into this further for you. Creating a ticket for you.  Please check the email associated with your Community profile and get back to me there. 

You can always come back to the thread and let other users know, how this issue was solved. 

Cheers! 

Fiona

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?