cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox on OSX not updating to retrieve on iPad in Dropbox app

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I have been using Dropbox for years.  On my iMac using OS X Mojave with Dropbox installed, Dropbox is the main folder with all of my folders inside.

Last week I created an Excel file (small one page) and saved it as a file in the Dropbox folder and not in a sub folder.  I went out of town, pulled out my iPad and clicked on the Dropbox icon to retrieve that file and it was not there.

I just returned to my office and booted my computer and the file is in the Dropbox folder exactly where I saved it.  I opened my iPad, Dropbox app icon and the file is not there.  On my iMac using Google Chrome I went to the Dropbox website and logged in.  The file is not showing there.  I copied and pasted the file and put it inside a folder and within 5 minutes I saw the file as a recent file on the Dropbox website.

Is there a problem with just saving a file in the Dropbox folder without it in another sub-folder?  The file was created on September 11th and updated (saved) on the 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th) so there was plenty of time for it to upload to the cloud.

Any thoughts?  thank you

Elliot

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox on OSX not updating to retrieve on iPad in Dropbox app

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Elliot,

I think it would be worth licking the dropbox icon at the top of the screen and forcing a manual sync. 

If your dropbox is full, syncing will be disabled. might need to do some clearing out or upgrade. 

If both of those options are not working, try checking you time and date on your devices. Having an incorrect time and date can cause certian apps and programs to fail when connecting to the servers. Use, automatic time and date where possible. 

Is the app up to date?

Is the ipad connected to the internet?

have you tried to use the free Excel app for ios, link your dropbox and create the folder from you ipad first? if so, does it sync back?

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox on OSX not updating to retrieve on iPad in Dropbox app

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

Thank you for responding.  To answer your questions:

• I am using 1.5% of 2gb in Dropbox so it is not even close to being full
  • Time and date on all of my devices are synced (done by Apple) and all are in the same time zone, on the correct date-hour-minute
  • The apps are fully up to date on my iMac, iPad and iPhone
  • The iPad is always connected to wi-fi.  I have a mesh system in my home and office and my 3 devices are always connected
  • I have never used the iPad version of Excel as I have always done my spreadsheets on my Mac and save...then if I travel I sometimes try to view them on the iPad.

The iPad had 5 days to sync to the Dropbox computers as did the iMac where the original file was located.  Since I wrote this post and created a copy of the file and put it in a sub folder, it has su=ynced with the cloud......but of course, it didn't help when I needed it in a different city.

Elliot

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?