cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox on ZFS halts on downloading certain tiff files

Dropbox on ZFS halts on downloading certain tiff files

Tomas B.6
Explorer | Level 3

We have a very frustrating issue. I'm syncing the Dropbox to a 64-bit Ubuntu 20.04 client running on top of ZFS. As I have read, this is a supported configuration. However, while most files synchronize, we have a few thousand images scattered across many folders that cause the Dropbox app to halt. It remains to show "Downloading" multiple days. Looking more into details, the images get Downloaded into the ~/Dropbox/.dropbox.cache/new_files and I can open them there. However, they are never moved to the correct location!

As soon as I modify one file on any other system, it syncs in ok. This made me look into the metadata of the files.

I used a tool called "exiftool" to rewrite the metadata of the file with the same information and retaining the creation/modified date.

This is the command I use (on another client) :
"exiftool -P -all= -tagsfromfile problematicFile.tif -all:all -overwrite_original problematicFile.tif" 

This change makes the file sync correctly!

While this does retain the original modification data, image data and all EXIF information, it does change the hash of the file. 

I therefore also tried changing each metadata field and deleting groups but that in itself is not sufficient.

Can anyone help me to troubleshoot this further? I'm an experienced programmer, but the closed source of the dropbox daemon and logging structure makes it very difficult.

The Dropbox versions currently running (I have tried both the stable and prerelease versions with the same problem).

Dropbox daemon version: 123.4.4832
Dropbox command-line interface version: 2020.03.04

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Tomas B.6, thanks for posting today!

Have you tried emptying the cache folder to see if this helps to re-sync the files to their correct location?

Are the files that are trying to sync already on the machine, or are they trying to sync down from the site?

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Tomas B.6
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay,

The files are not on the computer. They get downloaded to the cache directory but then get stuck there. 

Yes, I have cleared the cache multiple times, reinstalled dropbox. I have even formatted the entire system and reinstalled it (on new disks) the same files get stuck. Even when using selective sync so that I only have a folder with 20 files syncing. 

Jay
Dropboxer
Just to clarify, is this only for TIF files in particular, no other files?

Were these files all created with the same program or service?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?