cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox on laptop didn't sync to cloud/web?

Dropbox on laptop didn't sync to cloud/web?

MHo
New member | Level 2

I have been using dropbox for 10 years.  I have been saving to a dropbox folder on my laptop finder/desktop for several years now, and just used it a few weeks ago.  I just tried to use it & the dropbox is no longer on my laptop finder, and when I look at the dropbox webpage, it seems that all my files from the last 4-5 years have not been syncing on the web/cloud.  My questions:

1) is it possible that I have been saving onto my laptop but it has not been syncing with my actual dropbox on the web/cloud?

2) How can the files on my laptop be deleted?

3) dropbox has been prompting me to upgrade and increase my storage for the last couple months -- could this be part of the problem?

4) Are dropbox files encrypted and secure?

5) I have a mac icloud account -- might there be a backup there?

Should I switch to using a different cloud based storage than dropbox? this has been very frustrating.

thank you for any tips!

1 Reply 1

Re: Dropbox on laptop didn't sync to cloud/web?

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @MHo, let's see what we can find on this together!

As a first step, I would like for you to locate your Dropbox icon (on the menu bar, next to your WiFi), hover your mouse there and let me know the status of the app.

As for your questions: 

1) That could be possible for a number of reasons, such as: outdated desktop app, not enough hard drive or Dropbox space, saving content on a different path (other than the Dropbox folder), or not having the app installed etc. Can you share with me the steps you followed, when you saved your files?

2) Dropbox doesn't delete your files without your permission, or you causing it. I'd suggest looking at the type of files that have been removed and locate any third-party apps that could be causing it.

3) Definitely. If you don't have enough hard drive or Dropbox space, the changes wouldn't sync to the Website. You can check more here.

4) In short, yes. I'd suggest checking this Help Center article, which can give you a precise idea as to how this works.

5) If you use iCloud, and you stored your files and folders there, then it's worth checking in with Apple to see what you find. There is a chance that your files are somewhere in the device. Can you check for missing file names, using your Finder, and let me know what you find? 

Keep me posted!

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?