cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox on my computer does not sync, only syncs if I restart the app.

Dropbox on my computer does not sync, only syncs if I restart the app.

fenchai
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I don't understand what is going on.

This started happening yesterday and today, any change I make from my PC dropbox does not get synced to my dropbox, sometimes files take like 10 minutes in order to sync.

I have tried many solutions:

• Restarted Computer
  • Restarted Dropbox (this will restart sync BUT after it stops syncing, have to restart again if I want to sync)
  • Verified Interned worked properly as all my other syncing services are active and working
  • Disabled Antivirus
  • I have no cleaning app system etc, windows 10 is freshly cleaned.
  • Reinstalled Dropbox.
  • Clock is synced and not delayed (I know some syncing services have problems when clock is not synced)

I am literally planning to make a script to restart dropbox every 1 min as I don't see any solution on google.

please help me 😞

27 Replies 27

SBAL1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks so much - I ended up reinstalling Dropbox on my computer and now it is syncing fine.

Bill E.12
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi I have been having a similar problem, if I edit a file on my PC, it saves to Dropbox and then to my Galaxy s9+ all ok, but if I edit on the phone nothing happens, file is saved in WDS but doesn't get transferred to Dropbox and on to PC folder. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times, it works ok for a while  then I have to reinstall again.

This just started happening a few days ago, I have used Dropbox for 3 or 4 years with no problem till now.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @Bill E.12, thanks for joining the discussion here and sorry to hear about this. 

I'm sorry to ask, but can you please clarify what WDS stands for exactly? 

Also, do the edits on this file make it normally to our servers, meaning if you're able to see them when you access your account through a web browser? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Bill E.12
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Walter, as I said yesterday I uninstalled from both phone and PC downloaded the latest for both, and reinstalled, this did sort the problem, but now less than 24 hrs later, its doing it again. In answer to your question I don't think edits from the phone when the problem occurs, are getting to your servers. If I open a file on my phone then select the little square with an arrow file opens, I can select edit mode, make entry, select save, and done , then exit when its working ok I get a downloading preview message, and all is fine. When its not working I get no message, and the preview file on the phone is unchanged, as is the one in Dropbox web and on my PC.

However if I start from the PC all is ok.

Phone is a Samsung Galaxy S9+ I have had it for some time and all has been fine till now.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for keeping me in the loop on this, Bill!

Have you tried clearing the app's cache at all lately?

Also, if you've made sure that your device's OS and our mobile app are up to date, can you send us a screenshot of the preview message you mentioned?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Bill E.12
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
After the re install to pc and phone, when it again stopped syncing, I once again uninstalled and re installed the phone app only, not the pc app, and so far it seems ok. So that's 2 days and counting, All apps are up to date. Cant get screen shot the message just flashes up briefly as the file on the phone updates. Looking at the file it will flag updated 2 secs ago or similar.
I will keep fingers crossed, and let you know if if fails again.
Cheers Bill

Bill E.12
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Walter, well sad to say it still happens after a few uses, so I am continually uninstalling it from my phone and re installing add infinitum.

I have noticed something that may help. When I open the file select edit, make whatever changes i need, select enter, but when I go to the file save Icon, its greyed out, so updates are not being saved so so sync.

I like Dropbox I have used it for several years even though I only use a fraction 32 g of the  2tb space I pay for (a plan with a smaller say 500 gig) would be sufficient. this has happened recently so whatever has been changed please get it changed back. I don't really want to migrate to one drive, but can't accept this situation for long.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for keeping me in the loop on this one and I appreciate your feedback too, Bill. 

If there's anything else I can help with, please let me know. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Bill E.12 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?