cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox out-of-sync between Desktop App and Browser

Dropbox out-of-sync between Desktop App and Browser

renheowein
New member | Level 2

My files are out of sync, even though the app (and the File Explorer) says they are. The second photo is from the desktop app, and the first is from my dropbox account on my browser.

Help!? I've got a second terminal I go back and forth between, and the second terminal only shows what's on the website. : (

BrowserBrowserDesktop ApplicationDesktop Application

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox out-of-sync between Desktop App and Browser

renheowein
New member | Level 2

I was able to resolve this issue.

When it comes to Dropbox servers, the determination on whether or not a file is modified is based on its hashed value, which will be identical if the actual contents and the file name remain the same. 

At OS level, Windows (Explorer) uses a different system to determine what constitutes a modification, likely based on the underlying filesystem's rules. Thus, a change at the Windows level (such as simply overwriting a value with the same value) will not constitute a change at the Dropbox server level.

In conclusion, what we are seeing is indeed the expected behavior.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

cgmz
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I had experience the same issue.

I recently create a new folder on Explorer. It Shows in the Desktop App. But It doesn't show the new folder online or in my Cellphone app (Android) 

The little blue sync on the Icon on the toolbar never stops.  Looks like I have sync problems.   And if I go to check sync error, it shows no error.

I need help to fix this,

Thanks,

justmadethisnow
New member | Level 2

i had the same issue just now. i noticed a 'hidden' folder

.dropbox.cache

its subfolders were empty, so i deleted it; hoping to trigger a refresh. the program noticed, generated a new cache and refreshed all files.

dropbox is now in sync again, for now at least

renheowein
New member | Level 2

I was able to resolve this issue.

When it comes to Dropbox servers, the determination on whether or not a file is modified is based on its hashed value, which will be identical if the actual contents and the file name remain the same. 

At OS level, Windows (Explorer) uses a different system to determine what constitutes a modification, likely based on the underlying filesystem's rules. Thus, a change at the Windows level (such as simply overwriting a value with the same value) will not constitute a change at the Dropbox server level.

In conclusion, what we are seeing is indeed the expected behavior.

View solution in original post

teekay-
New member | Level 2

So sorry if this is a dumb question - but how do you trigger Windows File Explorer to send the message to Dropbox that the folder has been modified (and thus trigger Dropbox to update changes in the Windows app to all other Dropbox locations)?

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey all; thanks for your reports!

This issue should be fixed and working properly now; can you let us know if you're still having problems with syncing? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?