cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox paper documents publicly visible despite being set to private and shared with individuals

Dropbox paper documents publicly visible despite being set to private and shared with individuals

benjaminEwhite
New member | Level 2

I have a big project I'm collaborating on with several contributors, and we're using dropbox paper to draft content.  I set up a folder, and shared it with the contributors, and happened to notice today that *anyone* can see the documents if they have the link. As in you don't even have to be signed in to Dropbox.

Is this the a bug or a feature?  What can I do to limit public access?

5 Replies 5

Re: Dropbox paper documents publicly visible despite being set to private and shared with individual

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi Benjamin, Paper docs are accessible by default if someone has the link to the doc.

You can amend the sharing permissions using the steps on this page. The best option would be to restrict it to people invited to the doc.

Hope this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Dropbox paper documents publicly visible despite being set to private and shared with individual

benjaminEwhite
New member | Level 2

Thanks, Jay!

I see how to change the settings for individual documents within my folder, but I don't see a way to do this for the whole folder. At this point i have dozens of subfolders, and numerous docs in each subfolder, so if there's a way to change permits for whole folder, that'd be ideal.

Jay
Dropboxer
Folder in Paper can be set to members within a team (if you’re on a paid Dropbox Business team) or simply by inviting members to the folder.

However, if the individual Paper docs have already been viewed by people you didn’t want to, there isn’t an easy way of undoing this. 

You’ll need to manually change the link permissions for each, as well as remove those people who were viewing the docs (if those accounts show as signed in).

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Dropbox is leaking your documents

kambino
New member | Level 2

It seems Dropbox is sharing stuff w/o your knowledge. Here is how: 

- Create a paper in a non-shared folder

- Don't create any shares or links

- Open the paper you created and copy the link.

Now: What would you expect when you try to open that link when you are logged-off??  Is it a desaster if this link becomes public by any means because 

1. you don't know it is visible to everyone else and

2. you can't even control an expiry date or have any kind of control 

The funny thing is: this leak does not exist with any other documents except paper. Well done, Dropbox!

Re: Dropbox is leaking your documents

kambino
New member | Level 2

I just read this https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Dropbox-paper-documents-publicly-visible-despi...

And it is really for me an abuse of our trust that you keep the privacy of user. 

If for some reason these documents have to be public by default, then I would expect you to INFORM your users and not let them think it is private. 

SHAME ON YOU DROPBOX. This message will be broadcast everywhere to protect other innocent people trusting you. 

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?