cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox "hijacked" system and lost documents

Dropbox "hijacked" system and lost documents

Volstruis
Explorer | Level 3

I have a Basic Dropbox account mainly used occasionally to share large files for work purposes. This week Dropbox asked me is I wanted to back-up files/or synchronise files on my laptop. I stupidly said "yes" without thinking too much about it. Dropbox then "highjacked" the files so that all the files on my laptop C-drive was via Dropbox. I had to re-pin my Quick Access documents as the location where they were had changed. I did not want this synching going on all the time and tried to remove the Dropbox synching function but could only find an option to pause it.  I subsequently needed to use a PDF Merge app and could not save any docs generated by it as it was located via Dropbox pathway. I tried to remove the files stored via the Dropbox pathways and the synching/back-up option and in this process all the files were  deleted from my PC. Our external IT managed to find some on the Dropbox cloud and re-install on my laptop drive but some of the recent files that I had worked gone had gone missing although you can "see" it in recent Excel docs but it doe snot appear anywhere when searching. I have worked on this Excel (and other) for months and its loss is a disaster. I am so frustrated with Dropbox as they inadvertently took over my files and docs. 

How can I find the lost documents?? I see there is a rewind option but not sure if it will work retrospectively if I upgrade now? How can these docs be recovered alternately? I would be so grateful for your help. 

3 Replies 3

Re: Dropbox "hijacked" system and lost documents

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @Volstruis, thanks for reaching out about this. 

Is the computer backup feature now disabled?

Have you tried looking for your files in the deleted files page on our website?

Also, if the files actually got the time to sync to your Dropbox account, you should be able to see the deletion events in your events page.

Let me know how what you find.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Volstruis
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you Hannah for your response. Out IT service spent more than a day trying to sort it out. Yes the backup  option has been disabled now I believe.

In the Dropbox back-up option it says: "After backup, those folders, and the files within them, are still accessible from the same place on your computer, while also backed up to Dropbox. Any changes or deletions you make to those folders from your computer, or in Dropbox, will be reflected in both places."

My files on my PC were not in the same place after the back-up and all file paths were via Dropbox/desktop path. My quick access file links did not work anymore either because the path had changes (was via Dropbox). 

There were no files in the "Deleted files page" on Dropbox website and there is no deletion listed in the "Events page" - only all the folders (7416) that had been added to Dropbox including My PC (Desktop xxxxxx). Some of my apps such as PDF Merge would no longer work as the pathname to store PDF's created was no longer on my PC.

After I tried to remove Dropbox back-up (not "pause" as that made no difference) all my files were removed from my PC. We managed to find most files in the Dropbox Cloud but some documents are missing - especially recent large Excel spreadsheets that I was working on. I also noticed that other random documents are missing.

This has been such a nightmare and cost me a few days work. Dropbox literally highjacked all my files. 

I also tried to do a system reset from before I accepted the Dropbox back-up but it took more than 1,5 hrs and in the end I switched off my laptop - maybe was  not a good idea but I was not sure if it was working or hanging. 

ernietamminga
New member | Level 2

I just installed the Dropbox app on my Windows 10 computer, and have discovered to my horror that Dropbox has hijacked most of the files on my PC filesystem and moved them into its own directory. I'm guessing so far that I'll have to look through that whole BIG collection of files in the "Dropbox" directory and try to figure out how to move them back where they actually belong.

I have deleted the Dropbox app, and will never go anywhere near it again.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ernietamminga New member | Level 2
    Volstruis Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?