cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox randomly deleted thousands of files for no apparent reason (multiple times)

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox randomly deleted thousands of files for no apparent reason (multiple times)

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I've just received an email purporting to come from Dropbox saying 'You deleted e0005ff1.au and 1,353 other files'.

The time is given as  31/12/2016 12:46 AM.

When I checked the deleted files folder, I found that the size of nearly all the files is exactly 1.01mb, with  a few precisely 861.59 KB and a couple more 314.11 KB.

I wasn't using any of my devices at the time, so how come all these files have been deleted? And why are there so many files with an .au extension there in the first place? They don't seem to be actual audio files - and I neither put them there nor did I delete them.

Has anyone any idea what's happening? Do I need to be concerned about it? And how do I stop it happening again?

Any information gratefully received.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

"Also, find one of the deleted files, click on 'Restore Previous Versions' and it will show who/where/what machine etc. it was deleted from..."

I did this, and find that it was deleted by "API App"? How do I know which device this is?

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I am having the same problem. I got DropBox to serve as a backup for files which I had stored on external hard drives. Now, they are all gone! I pay for a lot of space and almost nothing is being used.

I have recently changed computers, but that should not have affected this because I certainly didn't authorize these deletions. The folders are there, but almost none of my important business and training files are there.

If I were not using this right now for a project, I would delete the service!

Is there any way to get my files back? I have no idea when the deletions happened.

It seems that with so many users experiencing the same problem, you would do something about this.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
I beg to differ. These files are not shared. My dropbox is not linked to my computer. It was deleted just like that - over 200 files gone!
Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

@Mark wrote:

Dropbox cannot delete files on its own. SOMETHING is doing that..... we just need to work out where and why.

Have you read www.dropbox.com/help/969 and www.dropbox.com/help/400 ?

Also, find one of the deleted files, click on 'Restore Previous Versions' and it will show who/where/what machine etc. it was deleted from. That may give some clues.

this is a BS canned answer.
Dropbox routinely performs thousands of deletions whenever we perform system upgrades, drive replacement or raid mantenance, etc.

I am sure DB has some logical reason why this makes sense if you are working at a Drop Box data center trying to juggle data across servers, but for practical purposes, Drop Box is not secure nor is it reliable nor is it logical from a user perspective.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I can verify that Dropbox can and does delete files automatically. In fact it is doing so right now as I type. I have closed dropbox and it continues to delete. This is the second day in a row that it has happened and makes me wonder what I am paying for!!!!

Does anyone know how to get in touch with Dropbox - seems they are only contactable when payment is due. Absolute rubbish service.

@matthew l.7 wrote:

I am having the same trouble where over 1000,000 files were deleted, the funny thing is that these deletions left behing the folder hierarchies, and only made the files disappear.  It simply wouldn't be possible for a human to do this in the amount of time that this happened. 

This happened right after my quota that I *earned* was retracted by DropBox.

Coincidence? Seems not to be so to me. DropBox refuses to restore since it took me more than 30 days to notice the files were gone from the archive--I am interested to find others for whom this has also happened. 

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

JASPER14 wrote:

I can verify that Dropbox can and does delete files automatically.

Dropbox CAN NOT delete files automatically without being told to do so. If files are being deleted, then something else is the cause.

In fact it is doing so right now as I type. I have closed dropbox and it continues to delete.

And this just strengthens my point. If Dropbox is not running, it can't be responsible for the deletion (not that it could even if it was running).

Restore one of the files that was deleted and then look at the version history for that file. It will tell you which device initiate the deletion. You need to look there to see what the actual cause was.

Does anyone know how to get in touch with Dropbox

Open your ticket here: https://dropbox.com/support
Track your ticket here: https://dropbox.zendesk.com

Replies take approximately 1 - 3 business days with Plus and Professional users getting priority (longer for Basic users).

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Last post removed for abuse.

Please keep this thread polite and civil.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Find Answers section here. ]

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?