cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox randomly deleted thousands of files for no apparent reason (multiple times)

Highlighted

Dropbox randomly deleted thousands of files for no apparent reason (multiple times)

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Since I have started using dropbox, I have had at least 4 instances where I have had catastrophic deleting of files ans folders for no apparent reason. It just happened to me again. I was working on my laptop and I noticed that the little dropbox icon on the bottom right of my windows 8 PC said that thousands of files were updated. I knew I didn't update them so I looked into it. I noticed hundreds of my folders were missing and files were deleted.

I have no idea how or why this is happening. I was able to go in and recover them, but I dont know if I caught all of them as you have to manual search for each file and click recover.

I run my entire business on dropbox and have 7 employees connected to it. I am 100% certain the employees did not delete these files. Even if they wanted to they could not have done it that fast. It seems to pick a random folder or two an delete random files. Not the entire folder, just random folders within folders and random files within those folders.

Help! How can i stop this from happening. I think I may nee to find another cloud solution?? I do backup my files every week or so on a hard drive, but if I lost a full weeks or more worth of work, I would be sunk.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox randomly deleted thousands of files for no apparent reason (multiple times)

Super User II
Super User II

Last post removed for abuse.

Please keep this thread polite and civil.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Find Answers section here. ]

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

47 Replies 47
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox randomly deleted thousands of files for no apparent reason (multiple times)

Super User II
Super User II

Dropbox cannot delete files on its own. SOMETHING is doing that..... we just need to work out where and why.

Have you read www.dropbox.com/help/969 and www.dropbox.com/help/400 ?

Also, find one of the deleted files, click on 'Restore Previous Versions' and it will show who/where/what machine etc. it was deleted from. That may give some clues.

- - -

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I am having the same trouble where over 1000,000 files were deleted, the funny thing is that these deletions left behing the folder hierarchies, and only made the files disappear.  It simply wouldn't be possible for a human to do this in the amount of time that this happened. 

This happened right after my quota that I *earned* was retracted by DropBox.

Coincidence? Seems not to be so to me. DropBox refuses to restore since it took me more than 30 days to notice the files were gone from the archive--I am interested to find others for whom this has also happened. 

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

This happens to me frequently.  Hundreds of files will be deleted by "me" all at the same exact time across multiple folders.  I feel like it has something to do with syncing across my laptop, Galaxy 5, iPhone and work computer without fully closing folders or files.  

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hi, I have the same trouble for few weeks now. I don't know the reason but some of my files are deleted every week. Each time it happens late at night when I am not front of my PC. It can't be me. Hopefully I am using the recovery system to get back them. I changed my password, remove all others users authorization, paid for full space, improve security by putting cell phone text message authorization...but nothing change. It happens again and again every week. I don't know what to do and thinking to leave dropbox at this point. If someone from dropbox community can answer me I will be grateful. Thank you

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

SOMETHING on your machine is deleting the files. Dropbox CANNOT do it on its own. 

I'd suggest looking at what type of files it is that is being removed and if its the same ones. Then look at what maybe using those files etc. 

- - -

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

It's happened to me three times now including just now overnight.
I really can't trust Dropbox any more.
Luckily I run a daily back up to other cloud and an external drive or again some quite important work would have been lost.
This latest incident was typical in that folders 'look' normal but all files inside had been deleted at some point. Actually it's more strange than that because each main folder has subfolders and only the subfolders with  *recently accessed files* had data removed.
The first thing I know of it is turning on desktop an icon flashes up saying 1,300 files were changed or deleted!
I don't believe it's a bizarre mischievous security breach and I know it wasn't me because I never  went near those folders for several days.
There is a serious issue going on and shouting that dropbox can't delete files on it's own is not a sensible answer.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

is not a sensible answer.

It is. Because it is factually correct. 

Something on your machine is deleting those files. 

- - -

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Like what, this exact same thing has happened over a period more than a year on Windows 7 and now Windows 10.
How can anything on the PC go into dropbox and start deleting files leaving empty folders?

Why has this mysterious maliciousness repeatedly decided to delete files held on Dropbox and not Google Drive, or One Drive, or the computer itself?
Clearly 'at best' there is a weakness in Dropbox.
But I think the deletions are caused by Dropbox one way or another.
It's no longer trustworthy with anything important - that is stuff you want to share and back up which is what it's supposed to do.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

How can anything on the PC go into dropbox and start deleting files leaving empty folders?

iTunes? iPhoto? Windows Media Player? Adobe?

All of those applications try and move things in to their own folder structure. That means they are moved out of Dropbox hence its seen as a deletion. Remember it isnt necessarily being deleted from your machine. Its possibly just being deleted from the Dropbox folder. 

But I think the deletions are caused by Dropbox one way or another.

Sorry but it seriously isnt. 400 million people disagree. It is SOMETHING on your devices doing it. 

that is stuff you want to share and back up which is what it's supposed to do.

Except Dropbox isnt a backup solution. Its a syncing solution. Do not rely upon it as a backup. 

- - -

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?