cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox share/permission error

Dropbox share/permission error

Deb15
Explorer | Level 4

Help! I shared a link to my resume from dropbox...emailed it to myself in hotmail...checked it and emailed it from there to an agency. However, when I click on the link in my 'sent' email, I can see the resume, but then I can also click a back arrow and view EVERYTHING else in my Dropbox account!! Will the receiver also be able to do this????

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox share/permission error

Rich
Super User II

@Deb15 wrote:
... I can also click a back arrow and view EVERYTHING else in my Dropbox account!! Will the receiver also be able to do this????

No. You're only seeing that because you're logged in to your account in the same browser. Log out of your Dropbox account, or use another browser (or a private browsing session) to test a shared link as others will see it. They can only see the specific item you linked to.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II

@Deb15 wrote:
... I can also click a back arrow and view EVERYTHING else in my Dropbox account!! Will the receiver also be able to do this????

No. You're only seeing that because you're logged in to your account in the same browser. Log out of your Dropbox account, or use another browser (or a private browsing session) to test a shared link as others will see it. They can only see the specific item you linked to.

Deb15
Explorer | Level 4
Whew!! Thank you!🤗

Sharing Permissions

Steve Fennell
Explorer | Level 3

Hi

I am having a problem sharing some files with the members of our choir. We have potentially 72 members who need to access music score PDF's and mp3 audio rehearsal tracks. We have paid for a Family Plan as the administration will be done by myself and one other only. I have created files which are stored in various folders within our Dropbox plan and a master document containing further links to the various files depending on the members choice. I have tested this by sending a link for the master document to various people and it worked very well. Now, I have embedded the master document link into a button on our website but this has created a problem as any member accessing this button (which is in a password protected area of the website) is effectively requesting access to the document rather than being given the link. This means permission has to be granted to each individual accessing the link via this button, and then a further permission for each link they select within the master document. Clearly, there is an issue with the permissions and I don't know how to get around this at present. Do I need to put every persons email into each document in our files? Can I even do this on a Family Plan? Is there a simpler solution to this that I have overlooked? Any other suggestions?

Any help gratefully received.

Steve Fennell

Re: Sharing Permissions

Megan
Dropboxer
Hi @Steve Fennell, thanks for posting to our Community! 

Can you clarify more with regards to the message you got about access? 

Also, it sounds like you added the URL directly to your website. Is that correct? 

You might want to create a shared link, and then add the link on the website, to give people access. 

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

Steve Fennell
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lori

thank you for your suggestion which sorted the problem.

Very grateful.

Steve Fennell

Megan
Dropboxer
Happy to hear that, Steve!

If you need anything else, I'll be one post away @Steve Fennell!

Cheers!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropboxer
    Steve Fennell Explorer | Level 3
    Deb15 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?