cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox shared ENTIRE FOLDER from Outlook link to single file

Highlighted

Dropbox shared ENTIRE FOLDER from Outlook link to single file

Explorer | Level 3

Last evening I sent an employee a link to a confidential document using the Outlook app on my iPad. It was saved in a sub-folder. Assume the sub-folder was called (2) where the parent folder was (1), so the structure would have been Parent (1)/Subfolder (2)/file. The Dropbox file link opened up the entire highly confidential parent folder (1), not just the individual document in subfolder (2). Furthermore, the link did NOT show up in any way on my Dropbox account in order to be deleted.

I am highly confident of the following:

1. I was viewing the actual file when I selected the file to share.

2. The Dropbox link showed the file by name in the link, so I didn’t point to the wrong file or the parent folder.

3. The link takes me to the entire folder, whether I’m logged into Dropbox or otherwise.

4. The folders say they are private and not shared. This makes sense because I never shared them, only sent a link from an individual file.

5. There is no link listed on Dropbox under Files/Sharing/Links, so I am unable to delete the link.

6. I have moved the entire content of the parent folder to a new folder. This appears to be my only hope to not share the entire confidential parent folder with an employee. It looks like my entire confidential folder was shared for about 15 hours until the employee brought it to my attention. 

I have seen a few other posts where it is suggested that it is user error. That may be possible but I am unable to define what I could have done wrong. 

No matter what, BE VERY CAREFUL in using Dropbox to share files. Personally I will NEVER do so again.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox shared ENTIRE FOLDER from Outlook link to single file

Super User II

It's not possible that a link to a file resulted in the parent folder being visible. If you discovered this because you were testing the link yourself, then it's because you're logged in to Dropbox, Dropbox knows that it's your link, so doesn't restrict you from seeing the rest of your account. If you tested this in a browser on the computer that you have Dropbox installed on, then you were likely logged in to your account without realizing it.

To test this accurately, open a private session/incognito window in your browser and view the link. This will be the equivalent to another user opening your link on their own computer. You'll only see the specific item that was linked to. If you still see the folder, then the link you created was to the folder and not to the file within.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Super User II

It's not possible that a link to a file resulted in the parent folder being visible. If you discovered this because you were testing the link yourself, then it's because you're logged in to Dropbox, Dropbox knows that it's your link, so doesn't restrict you from seeing the rest of your account. If you tested this in a browser on the computer that you have Dropbox installed on, then you were likely logged in to your account without realizing it.

To test this accurately, open a private session/incognito window in your browser and view the link. This will be the equivalent to another user opening your link on their own computer. You'll only see the specific item that was linked to. If you still see the folder, then the link you created was to the folder and not to the file within.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for your response. I understand that technically it should not happen. However, the recipient of the link had clear access to the entire parent folder and showed me the same. And the Dropbox link clearly indicated the file name. Once I moved all the content to another newly created folder, the link only went to the empty parent folder. 

@Richwrote:

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Hey @DavidL

Rich is right, so if you suspect that some part of our link-sharing process has malfunctioned, by all means, we want to know!

To get the specifics of this case over to our team for review, you can submit a support 
ticket here, and one of our agents will be happy to investigate. 

Cheers! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Did it show your employee any contents of the folder they weren't meant to see? Or just the folder with nothing in it except the file they were meant to see?

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Hi.

Today I sent five links to one of my clients. I sent the links via outlook app on iphone 11 pro.  After few hours my client called me back and said "I can see ALL your folders in your DropBox Account".   I went to my account shared tab, so I may delete those links.  Suprisingly those links are not in the shared link list.  Then I went to the security tab in settings and I changed my password.  Then I logged out from dropbox in my phone, and sent an email with shared links to myself.  When I click the links I received, they automatically open my dropbox, though I'm signed out.  To confirm that I launched my dropbox app but it asks me to login.

Anyway.  I think this is a big security issue.

For now, can some one help me to expire the liniks which I sent to my client.   Or is there a way to recall an email that I sent fifteen hours ago.   outlook app for iphone.

please help.

thanks

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?