cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox shared files not syncing to original Dropbox account.

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I use Dropbox on a client’s computer to share and sync files between computers at their offices, but since the Covid-19 lockdown I had to login to their Dropbox account and send myself a share link to a couple of folders that I work on regularly when I am in their offices.

On my computers I have my own personal Dropbox account. When I received and opened the Dropbox links these folders and files in them were added to my personal Dropbox files. These files are now syncing up on my Dropbox account but not on my client’s Dropbox account or their computers. Both my client and myself are currently and have been updating and adding files to these same folders regularly, but they have been syncing up in two different accounts, which can’t see each other.

My question is: how do I get my client’s files that are now updated and added to on my computer in my Dropbox account synced up to my client’s Dropbox account, where they actually belong?

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox shared files not syncing to original Dropbox account.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Poppy01, I hope you're having a good day so far!

If you've shared the folders via a shared link and then downloaded the content to your account, then this is just a copy of the files and it wouldn't be expected for these copies of the folder to sync between the accounts.

A shared link will only allow viewing access and the ability to download a copy of the files.

What you'll need to do is share the folder with this method and allow editing rights to the recipient. With this shared folder, each member of the shared folder will see the updates that the others have made.

Once the folder is shared, you can make any necessary changes and upload the most recent versions to the shared folder and delete the additional copy to avoid any confusion.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Polls
Have you been keeping up good habits while working from home?
We've created a working from home cheat sheet to help keep up on those habits, check it out here.
Need more support?