cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox still storing files on my PC

Dropbox still storing files on my PC

Raidius
Explorer | Level 3

I unlinked my PC and uninstalled Dropbox from my computer but there are still duplicates being made in a hidden folder in the Dropbox folder located in C:\Users\welco. I'd like to know how I can stop this from happening and completely remove Dropbox from my computer because it is taking up space and is extremely annoying. Apps think the Dropbox folder is also the default place to put downloaded files, and has made the downloads, documents, and desktop folders in the Dropbox folder, the default on my PC. I already deleted some things in the Dropbox folder without thinking or making a backup before canceling it so it couldn't delete anymore things and it permanently deleted those files, most I were able to retrieve because they were still saved in the original folders on my ssd, so please, I'd just like to remove it entirely without losing my files because I have no need for it!

4 Replies 4

Re: Dropbox still storing files on my PC

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @Raidius, thanks for reaching out and happy Friday!

It's strange to hear that you have unlinked your computer from Dropbox, uninstalled the application and files are still being duplicated in your Dropbox folder. 

These are duplicates of what kinds of files? And what's this hidden folder they are being stored in?

Also, have you trying manually moving the desktop, downloads and documents folders back to their original locations, to see if it works?

Keep me posted!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Raidius
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah! The hidden folder in the Dropbox folder makes duplicates of things on my desktop, my downloads, and my documents, files I've previously backed up and synced before unsyncing and unlinking my account. They are being stored in a hidden file that is inside a Dropbox folder located in my user folder as shown below. Everything is pretty much in their normal locations, it's just that Dropbox is still making duplicate files of everything on my desktop, my downloads, and my documents when I've unsynced everything and unlinked my account, it seems that the two folders are connected. Thank you so much for assisting me!explorer_0wnWdLujrn.pngexplorer_RDtpVDdR7p.pngexplorer_WDHiKvPmWF.png

Raidius
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah, I don't know if you saw my reply but could you please get back to me! Thanks!

Hannah
Dropboxer
Thanks for the update on this and the screenshots!

This hidden folder is indeed the computer backup folder, from when your desktop, downloads and documents folders were backed up to your Dropbox.

Have you tried move the folders back to their original locations, to see if that helps?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
    Raidius Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?