Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox stuck - 260 files stuck syncing!

Helpful | Level 6

Hi Everyone,

I've tried all I can before posting. 

- I have 260 files stuck in sycn with no upload or download speed. (16 files are stuck in indexing, 154 files stuck in download status and  the rest in upload status)

-New files will upload, download and index. (i.e the application and internet seems fine)

-These 260 files I cannot track down. I have too many files and many are already set to 'online only'. The local files and dropbox icons do not help me track down the offending files eithers. Often they look fine on the surface with no obvious issue.

-What alerted me to this was I noticed a file on my drive was named 'archive' but online it was called 'New Folder' This folder has synced files after it was renamed locally so it seemed to work properly without the name not updating but as of yesterday nothing I change inside this folder is synced.

It's like I have a pool of 260 files and they are stuck in there own little personal queue. Maybe If I resolve the one file the other 259 will continue on there way and sync perfectly but I cannot trackdown the offending file(S).

I have reinstalled the app, moved suspected files/folders out of the dropbox folder and deleted them online and restarted the app but this did not help track them down. I'm a bit stuck. a big bit.

Any suggestions please? I'd love to see which 260 files are the problem but there is no list view of waiting files. Any help or ideas would be most welcome.

THank you all.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox stuck - 260 files stuck!

Helpful | Level 6

Hi All,

After following Fiona's suggestion to use Selective Sync to remove files from my harddisk I did so, Selecting folders to remove I knew had not been updated in a very long time.

This exposed a bunch of files that were corrupt. With an error, I googled the error and read to use scandisk. image.png

After doing a scan and fix with Avast my laptop rebooted and the syncing continued. 
VERY HAPPY IT WAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DROPBOX! Thanks for the help Fiona and Dropbox community. 

I hope this will help someone else if it should occur.

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Colin77. Sorry to hear you are stuck there. Glad to help with this. 

I appreciate the detailed description of the situation. I would also like to know the version of your Operating system and the total amount of files you have in your account. 

I think since you have already tried removing folders that could have caused the issue, reinstalling and syncing is still stuck, it would be appropriate to check a few things before we proceed with further troubleshooting. 

Can I send you an email to investigate this? 

woman detective

Thanks. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hello Fiona,

Yes, an email would be appreciated.

I have 352k files (Checked from my local drive)

There are 432gig online and 81gig on my local drive.

- Currently I'm moving the local folders named online as 'New Folders' online. out of dropbox, deleting the online 'new folder' and dragging the local folder back into dropbox. 

this is helping with these individual folders but I'm still not finding the sticking point, the file I suspect is clogging up all the other stuck files. At least new files sync perfectly. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks. 

Let me know if you have received my email. 

Please respond there with he name of the device facing the issue. 

Fiona

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hello, 

I just noticed that when I create and  name a folder 'archive' locally it is always named 'New Folder' online... and then it becomes stuck. I cannot rename it locally and have it update online, the only edit that works on this folder is to delete it locally, then it deletes online too.

See the attached image. also notive locally it says this file is not synced (I presume this is the indexing only as I can put files inside and they will sync fine)

Annotation 2019-12-12 103159.jpg

Did Dropbox create some filters for file names maybe? this is very specific a problem. I still have 38k files stuck but new files sync perfectly as expected. Can someone please help from Dropbox.

Thanks

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information. 

Hmm..  I will be investigating this further. 

Please delete the folder and restore it from your deleted files page online. Let's see if it syncs down with the right name. 

Keep me posted! 

Fiona

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Thank you for the reply. 

I deleted a 'New Folder' file from dropbox online and a moment later a 'archive' folder appeared in it's place online and all the files stored inside the folder were inside (iIt looks like it synced my local archive folder and this time kept the name 'archive' online.)

I restored the deleted folder 'New Folder' and it appeared online but did not sync to my local drive. See below.

Annotation 2019-12-12 103159.jpg

I repeated this on another Online 'New Folder' from before today and it worked again. Should I repeat this process to see if it unblocked whatever the bottleneck is on all 'New Folder' files or does this tell you something else about the issue I need to resolve?

Thank you

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

This solution doesn't seem to work for all 'New Folder' files. Very old ones don't update once deleted (I think these were genuinely called 'New Folder' by accident years ago.

It looks like anything created before the bottleneck is now stuck. I renamed an old file from 2015 online and another locally but neither synced.
I did the same test with a file created yesterday and syncing worked perfectly. 

From what I can tell this began 2-3 weeks ago. I'll try not to touch any other old files anymore, I hope nothing Is missing.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thank you for the screenshots and the time you took to edit them. 

Now, this is not an expected behavior at all and I would say this is a syncing issue. But I can't say you are not syncing, cause you are showing me the archived folder synced online after all. 

So, now it's the right time for us to continue via email. I will be looking into this from your events and let you know more via email. 

Thank you for the cooperation @Colin77

Fiona

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Thank you, Emailed.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?