cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox stuck downloading files

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I am experiencing an issue where Dropbox keeps telling me it is downloading 8,831 files (8,835 if you expand the tray icon). Based on this article, it seems that symlinks could be to blame. However, I have been using them since at least 2016 without issue. The last thing that I can confirm uploaded from the symlink folders was on 9/22/19. Anything added to those folders since then is not uploading.

Of course I know the first suggestion will be "don't use symlinks". However, I am using these links for folders which cannot be moved, namely iTunes (not the media files but the library, preferences, and artwork), Windows Desktop, and the default Windows Documents folder. Since this worked until at least 9/22/19, I'm wondering if a new version was to blame.

Before I found that article I had tried all the standard troubleshooting techniques: Exit Dropbox and restart, unlink and relink, install latest version and relink, clear cache - nothing has worked. I'm hoping there will be some way to fix this, as I have depended on Dropbox for years to back up the files in these locations.

Any suggestions on how I can get this working again with symlinks? I'm running 82.4.155 on Windows 10 (not sure if that is what it was on 9/22 when the last sync occurred).

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox stuck downloading files

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @Tiger519

Thanks for joining our Community and posting your first thread here!

Long story short, symlinks where never supported by Dropbox. They create issues with synlinking. The behavior you are describing is unfortunately expected. 

I want to add two threads explaining the issues symbolic links can cause: 

Best practices for using symlinks: 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Files-folders/Best-practices-for-using-symlinks-symbolic-links/td-p/...

Sync never ends for a symbolic link:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Files-folders/Sync-never-end-for-a-symbolic-link/m-p/324962

I hope this info helps. Get back to us with any further questions!

Have a nice day! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Fiona, I understand that and I've already removed the symlink for Documents and Desktop and moved the files to Dropbox (turns out Windows 10 lets you easily change the location of these folders!).

iTunes is more difficult, though. You can change the location of the media folder (which it too big for Dropbox anyway) but not the install folder. If I recall, it doesn't like symlinks either, which is why I created the symlink in Dropbox to begin with. It seems I've been lucky to have this operating for over 3 years without fail, but if I can't get it working again, is there another option to back up these files (specifically the iTunes library) from the location is it? I know I could do a manual backup, but the beauty of my setup is that everything is just there in Dropbox without me habing to do anything.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Tiger519. Thanks for getting back to me. I understand that automation always makes things easier   Heart however, since we are not integrated with iTunes I don't have official steps from our resources to have the two services syncing alongside. 

You might find a workaround in this thread though: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Files-folders/Syncing-Photos-and-iTunes-files/td-p/360890

Let me know if this was helpful and if you managed to sync your itunes files with Dropbox. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?