cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox stuck on downloading

Dropbox stuck on downloading

TrueSky
Helpful | Level 5

My client has given me access to their dropbox which has a bunch of very large files in it that I can download and edit.

We keep running into a very annoying problem. I have to be selective about syncing, because I'm literally downloading TB of data and have to make room. Dropbox pretty regularly will start downloading the files when I change a folder from cloud to 'local', and then slow down to a crawl. I'll see it drop randomly down to KB/s and then finally nothing where it just says 'downloading X files' but makes no progress (even after waiting a while). I've tried re-installing multiple times, resetting permission, cache, all the stuff the FAQ and base level support tells you to do to no avail. 

The only thing I've found that SOMETIMES works, is enabling a VPN. For some reason toggling a VPN will sometimes kick it into gear. But sometimes that doesn't work either. I've checked with my ISP because of the heavy use to make sure they aren't throttling the dropbox connection, and they said they are not. 

This always seems to strike when I'm coming up against a deadline and need to get these files downloaded. 

I have a lot to go, and this has been very maddening. Next time I'll tell them to just use AWS, but we're stuck for now. Hoping someone here has some bright ideas! 

8 Replies 8

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Hi @TrueSky, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you clarify the size of the files we're talking about? 

Apart from that, could you please let me know your computer's OS and the version of the desktop app installed there?

Also, have you tried a clean, advanced reinstall too?

Let me know how you get on!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

TrueSky
Helpful | Level 5
Thank you for your reply, Walter.
I don't know if I did an advanced reinstall, I did so many things around the same time. I guess I can try that next.
These files are very large: 30 - 300 GB per file or so.
This is on Windows 10 pro. Not sure if the desktop version, but it's been happening for the last 6 months off and on so I'm sure multiple versions.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hey there, @TrueSky, I hope you're doing well!

With files that reach up to 300GB in size, it makes sense for the app to need time to sync the entire content.

As for the advanced re-install Walter suggested, that would be a nice idea. Give it a go, and let us know how it goes.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

TrueSky
Helpful | Level 5

@Megan 

I will try to advanced reinstall after I'm through using the files (which finally downloaded). I'm on a major time crunch. 

However, I don't believe it's a matter of the files just needing time to sync. It will literally sit for hours doing nothing other than say 'downloading' when this happens. When I switch a VPN or something on, often it will start moving again pretty much immediately. But I've had more than one occasion where I left everything running and came in the next morning, only to be incredibly frustrated that nothing else was downloaded... despite the apparent busy-ness of the app. 

Shadylettuce365
New member | Level 2
I have the exact same problem. Ive tried everything to figure this out.. Most of the files are 10 to 50 gb. Im on Windows 10 pro. I have to quit dropbox then restart it for it to only sync files for maube 10 to 15 mins then nothing. Only says downloading and nothing else until i restart ot again

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hi @Shadylettuce365, happy Monday! 

Have you contacted our Support team about this? Feel free to let me know your app's syncing status, along with its version.

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

mandelko-work
New member | Level 2

My system keeps howing that Dropbox is downloading 2 files. However it has been showing this for over 4 days and I cannot see what files it is having an issue downloading. How to I see what the problem is?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @mandelko-work, thanks for letting us know about this.

If you click on your Dropbox icon, then on your profile pic/initials and then on 'view sync issues', do you see anything reported there?

Also, what's your computer's OS and version and the version of the Dropbox app?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?