cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Bad file check

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

What are the plans the Dropbox have regarding this issue? It's a known problem and the company has not resolved this issue at all.  Why doesn't the sync tool report - to the user - what it believes the issue is?  Unfortunately, the problem that is being described here exists on both the consumer and business editions of Dropbox.  Business customers are actually paying for a service that does not work - at least it doesn't work as advertise.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Its something we've been bringing up for AGES @Richard Y.  :( 

Simply put - its dead. No idea when / if it will be back. 

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I had the same problem with the bad_files_check page bringing my PC to its knees.  Fortunately, the search function in Finder on the Mac can search for the rogue characters easily (if you choose to search in file names - for all but the double quote character), so I was able to correct the offending file names on the Mac.  Not much use if you don't have a Mac of course. 

Seriously Dropbox... How hard can it be to simply bring up a message to Mac users that the filename could have issues for Windows users?  And how hard can it be to fix a tool that simply scans filenames for certain characters?

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

I may have found a workaround!

Open up Dropbox, click on your little avatar at the top right and then 'View Sync Issues' and you are presented with a helpful screen of files not syncing.

I've not had it confirmed, but, I wonder if this is a replacement to bad_files_check?

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Polls
Have you been keeping up good habits while working from home?
We've created a working from home cheat sheet to help keep up on those habits, check it out here.
Need more support?