cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Bad file check

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

What are the plans the Dropbox have regarding this issue? It's a known problem and the company has not resolved this issue at all.  Why doesn't the sync tool report - to the user - what it believes the issue is?  Unfortunately, the problem that is being described here exists on both the consumer and business editions of Dropbox.  Business customers are actually paying for a service that does not work - at least it doesn't work as advertise.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Its something we've been bringing up for AGES @Richard Y.  :( 

Simply put - its dead. No idea when / if it will be back. 

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I had the same problem with the bad_files_check page bringing my PC to its knees.  Fortunately, the search function in Finder on the Mac can search for the rogue characters easily (if you choose to search in file names - for all but the double quote character), so I was able to correct the offending file names on the Mac.  Not much use if you don't have a Mac of course. 

Seriously Dropbox... How hard can it be to simply bring up a message to Mac users that the filename could have issues for Windows users?  And how hard can it be to fix a tool that simply scans filenames for certain characters?

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

I may have found a workaround!

Open up Dropbox, click on your little avatar at the top right and then 'View Sync Issues' and you are presented with a helpful screen of files not syncing.

I've not had it confirmed, but, I wonder if this is a replacement to bad_files_check?

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Unfortunately, this does not work either.  The sync tools stops working and the Restart Dropbox comes up immediately.  If I act fast enough, and catch the sync tool before it fails, I can pause the tool and select the "View Sync Issues"; which shows no errors.

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox sync fails - How to check for bad filenames?

Helpful | Level 5

Any update on when this tool is going to be repaired? https://www.dropbox.com/bad_files_check

Or has anyone found a commadline tool or another 3rd party app we can use?

Thanks,

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

@Mark 

I tried that and I don't see any errors.  But Dropbox is still stuck on a few files (under 10) for a couple users.  This seems to be causing Dropbox to be painfully slow.  I'm hoping to find the stuck files somehow but it is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

@Mark 
it would be nice if this tool would work without restrictions. But it doesn't. There are eternal synchronizations - i.e. files that ultimately do not synchronize - without these being displayed in the window you specified.

@pmv800 

no, i didn't found. I was looking for it a few months ago. Unsuccessful!

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

@lanka so I did a Google search and it looks like Microsoft OneDrive is finding ways to address that issue https://support.office.com/en-us/article/onedrive-can-rename-files-with-invalid-characters-99333564-...  also I think I will have to try to mod this Powershell tool "Check for unsupported characters by Sharepoint/OneDrive and fix" https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/office/Check-for-unsupported-6676929a

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

@pmv800 

hmmm... is it for MacOS too? But never mind ...

I have not a problem with „Bad Name file Check“ ... i need a „Bad Files Check“

My case: I think, I have problems with the rights management of files that Dropbox cannot sync. It would be helpful if Dropbox showed in its window/terminal which files are currently being updated/synced so I could find them. However, since this is not the case, only the constantly rotating synchronization symbol is displayed. It just doesn't help.

As I wrote in a previous post:

I still can't find the "bad files". But maybe I have found another solution. Since the rights management on OS X is no longer influenced manually, here is a solution that worked for me:
Copy the data from the dropbox to another location. Delete the data from your Dropbox, delete the Dropbox cash and copy it back into the Dropbox. ATTENTION: Do not move data! These have to be copied.

And "YES" it takes a lot of time when your Dropbox is full!

And "YES" that also needs a lot of traffic ... after all, I have to re-sync all files because I don't know which file is causing problems.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?