Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox sync fails - How to check for bad filenames?

waldalla
Helpful | Level 6

I have problems using Dropbox sync in the iOS GoodRaeder app. After eliminating other potential causes GoodReader support said it is probably a problem with troubling filesnames in my Dropbox. They pointed me to your help page Sync isn’t working—troubleshoot issues with incompatible characters and bad filenames – Dropbox Help.

How can I check my Dropbox for these file? - A command line tool or a web-app is fine.

Note: The older link for a tool www.dropbox.com/bad_files_check doesn't seem to work . (In Safari and in Firefox on macOS loading the page stalls.)

Thanks for any pointers.

15 Replies 15

File name is too long or includes characters that are invalid on the destination volume.

Reado15 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have just started a trial with Dropbox for business and 4 folders in struck the above problem using Dropbox Sync. Not a great start to say the least. I have 2 TBs worth of archives to upload with a very specific heriachy and file name convention which needs to be retained.

I can only assume this problem is due to the archaic Microsoft file path character limit? I work on Mac so this is not due to a MS Windows character limit at my end.

Is there any work around to get this to work without spending hours upon hours of changing the way I work and my file names to suit the Dropbox servers? Any help would be greatfully received.

Cheers

Dylan

Re: File name is too long or includes characters that are invalid on the destination volume.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there Dylan (@Reado15) - how are you today?

Could you send a screenshot of the exact error message you get so we can have a visual too?

While we're at it, have you tried our look up tool for problematic file names yet? Once you do and find the files or folders giving you this error, all you'd need to do is rename them by removing any incompatible characters.

This should resume the syncing process yet keep me posted on your findings and we'll take it from there if needed.

Thanking you in advance for your reply and wishing you a lovely week ahead. 

Cheers!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Dropbox sync fails in GoodReader (iOS) - How to check for bad filenames?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @waldalla,

Thanks for your feedback regarding our bad files checker. I've made sure to pass your feedback along to the team for review. 

In the meantime, you can manually check for any incompatible characters your files may contain, which you can do by navigating to a path, pressing Ctrl + F and entering one of the characters from this list

I understand that this may not be the ideal reply you were looking for, but I do hope it helps to some extent!

Lusil

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Dropbox sync fails in GoodReader (iOS) - How to check for bad filenames?

waldalla
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks Lusil

Indeed, this is not really the tool I was hoping for... Please let me know when the Bad-files-tool is working again.

The "bad file check" link isn't loading, any ideas?

jb2619
Explorer | Level 4

I was told i have a lot of bad files within my dropbox account.  I removed the app from my desktop and now i want to fix all these filenames online so that the sync gets sorted out.  I am using this link https://www.dropbox.com/bad_files_check and it isnt loading.  I tried incognito and it also isnt loading.  any ideas why this is??

Re: Bad file check

Super User II
Super User II

The Dropbox Team are aware of this and are looking into it.

Dropbox support website issues

Mike K.61
Collaborator | Level 8

I am having the same problem as on https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installs-integrations/File-name-is-too-long-or-includes-characters-t.... I managed to solve it on my own after this website provided no help.

However, I want to point: The Dropbox staffer who answered on that page posted a link to "our look up tool for problematic file names". Clicking his link for that "tool" freezes both Firefox and Safari on MacOS, and freezes the browser tab on Chrome for MacOS. In all cases, force-quitting the browser, re-opening it with the internet connection turned off, closing that tab, quitting, turning the internet connection back on, and re-opening the browser without that tab resolves the problem.

Then, when I tried to reply on that page to let the staffer know his link was crashing people's browsers, hitting the various "reply" buttons on the page simply did nothing. I tried reloading, restarting the browser, etc.

Pretty frustrating when you're having a frustrating issue and the tools and means provided by the support forums are nothing but buggy wastes of time that require you to do even more troubleshooting, rather than resolving your problem.

Re: Dropbox support website issues

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thank you for reporting your experience with the tool @Mike K.61. Apologies for the frustration this technical difficulty has caused. We are aware and working on the issue. Will update you when we have a fix. 

Thank you for your patience. 

Fiona

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Bad file check

Chazmacs New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

It's November, nearly December and it's still broken!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?