cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox sync is deleting files I accidentally lost

Highlighted

Dropbox sync is deleting files I accidentally lost

New member | Level 2

So I was wanting to move my dropbox directory, and really had no idea what I was doing. I basically deleted a chunk of my files, and now when Dropbox attemps to sync, it sees that the files are missing from my computer's directory and proceeds to remove them from the Dropbox where they still exist. I was able to stop it before it completely deleted my entire Dropbox, and restored the files that it did manage to delete. Can someone please tell me how to solve this? I can't run Dropbox on my computer without it attempting to delete my files. Would reinstalling Dropbox on my computer fix it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox sync is deleting files I accidentally lost

Dropboxer

Sorry to hear the movement went wrong @feetlebaum.

No worries, I am here for you. Your files are safe in your Dropbox Version History and we will bring them back. 

If the files were moved out of the folder, the system as you correctly described, would recognise they are missing and sync the deletion. You could just drop the files back in the folder, but the system will sync this as a new upload at the same time it is syncing the deletion and you would need to share your  files/folders again. 

The best solution for me is to simply restore from your deleted files page. This will recover the files and would not break the sharing if they are shared. 

Let me know if there is anything else you want me to explain or if you need help with restoring. 

Thanks!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Sorry to hear the movement went wrong @feetlebaum.

No worries, I am here for you. Your files are safe in your Dropbox Version History and we will bring them back. 

If the files were moved out of the folder, the system as you correctly described, would recognise they are missing and sync the deletion. You could just drop the files back in the folder, but the system will sync this as a new upload at the same time it is syncing the deletion and you would need to share your  files/folders again. 

The best solution for me is to simply restore from your deleted files page. This will recover the files and would not break the sharing if they are shared. 

Let me know if there is anything else you want me to explain or if you need help with restoring. 

Thanks!

Fiona

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Fiona, thank you for the reply! What if the files that I deleted on my computer are permanently gone? I don't have a way to move the files back into the directory, other than by letting it sync, and deleting the files so that I can then restore them. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Even if they are permanently gone from the computer, Dropbox will bring them back to you from the cloud!  

Let me know if this worked for you.

Fiona

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Fiona, thank you for your continued support! I appreciate it. The files that got deleted from the cloud are there and I restored them. I stopped it from deleting any more files that are missing by halting the sync. But I'm worried that turning on Dropbox on my computer will cause the sync to delete the files from the cloud that it hasn't yet detected are missing from my computer. I don't want to allow it to sync becuase it's just going to delete all the files from the cloud that are missing from my computer. There are a lot of files. Restoring them after that is going to take an eterninty, and there has to be a simpler solution with less steps. I'm wondering if I reinstalled Dropbox, it would download the files from the cloud to my computer when it synchronizes?

Highlighted

Dropboxer

I appreciate your kind response and I am happy to hear you restored your files. 

If these files are restored on Dropbox.com, all you will need to do it let Dropbox sync. 

The Dropbox cloud will sync the restoration, as it should. Not to worry. 

No need to reinstall. Syncing will take the same time it would if you un-paused syncing. 

I am here with you for anything else. 

Let me know how this goes. 

Fiona

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox sync is deleting files, nearly all files are lost

New member | Level 2

I just went through my drop box folders and realised they were all empty. There was about 5G of data on dropbox which is now lost.

Can you help?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?