cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox synced files on hard drive with outdated versions on the cloud, now all the files are gone

Dropbox synced files on hard drive with outdated versions on the cloud, now all the files are gone

Explorer | Level 3

So the situation is following: I have 2 PCs. I kept all of my projects in Dropbox folder on the external HDD but I stopped using cloud synchronization because it took too long to complete. I disabled Dropbox on the 1st PC and after maybe a year of not using it connected the external HDD to 2nd PC which had Dropbox installed and it was connected to the same account.
After that I discovered that all the files are back to their old versions and all of my new projects made during 2020 ARE GONE, DELETED.
How can I recover them? And where can I find a log entry to confirm when Dropbox made the decision to sync my projects to their old versions.
Please let me know if there's a solution, This is very critical for me
Dropbox account: [personal information removed as per Community Guidelines]

4 Replies 4

Re: Dropbox synced files on hard drive with outdated versions on the cloud, now all the files are go

Explorer | Level 3

I could be missing smth here, It's not proven yet to be completely dropbox's issue

Re: Dropbox synced files on hard drive with outdated versions on the cloud, now all the files are...

Dropboxer

Hello @AdUniversum, thanks for reaching out to us. 

You can see previous versions of your files by looking at their version history online. 

Could you follow these steps and let me know what you find?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Dropbox synced files on hard drive with outdated versions on the cloud, now all the files are...

Explorer | Level 3

The problem is, I don't want to find or restore older versions, I already have them on my disk. I want to restore my current versions.
I suspect that my files synchronized with the old versions, resulting in deletion of my current versions.
If you could prove or disprove that such scenario of Dropbox usage is possible it would narrow the search area of what caused this.

Dropboxer

Generally, syncing your files will prompt the apps to update to the most recent versions of the files. 

Just to make sure that we're on the same page though, could you just have a look at which version the website shows to be the most recent one?

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?