cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox syncing issues on just 1 Windows PC

Dropbox syncing issues on just 1 Windows PC

Naki B.
Helpful | Level 6

I am using Dropbox on several Windows 10 PCs here, plus 1 Windows 7 PC too.
Recently, since about 7-8 days ago on my main PC, Dropbox started NOT being able to finish syncing, with the Dropbox icon in Windows Notification Area keeping showing the blue unsynced files badge.
Using Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit on this PC, version 1903.
Dropbox client is 84.4.170 version.
Any ideas how to fix this? Note on my other PCs, Dropbox is able to finish the sync fine, and the Dropbox icon shows as fully synced.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox syncing issues on just 1 Windows PC

Naki B.
Helpful | Level 6

Fiona, I am happy to report that I was able to fix the issue myself yesterday. 🙂
Here is what happened:
1) I checked the properties of that phrases.pxp file in my C: drive Dropbox folder, and somehow it turned out it has NO owner, so the NTFS permissions were not right. Due to this, Dropbox was showing this file with a red crossmark on it, meaning it cannot download or upload it (? unsure which of those).

2) Then I added some proper NTFS persmissions for this file - added Administrators access, then also my own Windows admin account I use/etc.

3) At once, the file disappeared from Dropbox, as if was deleted, and the Dropbox icon switched to the correct, fully synced status.
Seems those other 2 (3??) files - small ISO file, very small .H file - could not sync, because they were AFTER the phrases.pxp file in the Dropbox Sync queue, not due to any issue with their file names or contents/etc. 🙂 As the phrases.pxp file could not sync, they could not sync too.

4) I was very worried Dropbox deleted this very important file of mine, but I went to Dropbox online and file was still there - it was NOT in the Trash.
So, I quit the Dropbox PC app, ran it again and the file got redownloaded, and showed in the Recent section as well.

THREE suggestions I have, please:
* Dropbox should handle files with wrong NTFS permissions like this file of mine much better. I suggest for a popup/tooltip to show, saying something like:
"Your file [exact file name and location in Dropbox folder here] is not able to sync due to incorrect NTFS permissions. Please fix the permissions and try again."
* Dropbox should NOT delete my local file this way. It should either properly keep it, OR if not, at least a prompt should show - "Dropbox status changed for file [file name goes here], please restart Dropbox to update."
* It would be nice to be able to see any/all unsynced/unsyncable files in one place in the new Dropbox Desktop app, with the respective icons too - the blue not synced icon, or the red crossmark unsyncable icon.
This way users would not need to "hunt" for the problem files looking folder by folder, but would have them all conveniently in 1 location.

I hope this helps you help others with similar Dropbox sync issues with file with RED crossmark icon on it. 🙂

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Fiona
Dropboxer

Hi @Naki B. Thanks for reaching out. 

If you haven't, please try the following to solve the syncing issue: 

1. Reboot the device. 
  2. Check if you see specific folders syncing :arrows_counterclockwise:. How many files does your Dropbox status report to be syncing? Is it syncing all your files? Get a screenshot of the syncing status.
  3. Basic reinstall. ( uninstall, reboot, run/install the latest stable)

If the issue persists I am here for you. :nerd: :tools:

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Naki B.
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks for the quick reply! :slight_smile:
1) I shutdown this PC every evening, then turn it on every morning. So, NO, restart of the PC does not help.
2) How to check this? It seems indeed specific files can NOT properly sync, including my PhraseExpress data file, and one of my ISO work files. 
Some screenshots are here, hope they help:
https://cloud.mail.ru/public/KjxZ/tkELQPP76
Any ideas why these 2 (or 3, 4? Unsure) files cannot sync?
Note I use Dropbox on several PCs, and it is fine on most - issue is ONLY on this 1 PC here.

3) Does this involve a logout? If so, not going to happen - I use the free Dropbox services, so cannot relogin on this PC if I logout.

Fiona
Dropboxer

Oups. :disappointed_relieved: So we can't troubleshoot with the reinstall. 

Do these files have incompatible characters that could prevent them from syncing:thinking:

You can tell the folders/files stuck syncing from the syncing icons on them. :arrows_counterclockwise:

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Naki B.
Helpful | Level 6

Fiona -- Okay, now what is going on here!? I wrote a very long, detailed reply to your last reply, which I think was helpful.

Then I see it was deleted as Spam. There was no spam in my reply at all. And yes, it took a long time to write and I did not backup the text anywhere. 
Now what? Do you want me to not get help here anymore, and instead submit a support case, so I can get help via email?
Please note I want this issue fixed soon, i.e. in a reasonable amount of time.
IF my replies to you get deleted as Spam, I am afraid you cannot help me, nor can I get help.

EDIT: Fiona, if you are able to undelete my last, detailed reply, I would be thankful for you to do that.
I think the moderator or admin who deleted it as Spam was wrong in doing so. 
Or maybe you have an automated Spam detection system that kicked in? If so, it was wrong too. :slight_smile:

Naki B.
Helpful | Level 6

Fiona, I am happy to report that I was able to fix the issue myself yesterday. 🙂
Here is what happened:
1) I checked the properties of that phrases.pxp file in my C: drive Dropbox folder, and somehow it turned out it has NO owner, so the NTFS permissions were not right. Due to this, Dropbox was showing this file with a red crossmark on it, meaning it cannot download or upload it (? unsure which of those).

2) Then I added some proper NTFS persmissions for this file - added Administrators access, then also my own Windows admin account I use/etc.

3) At once, the file disappeared from Dropbox, as if was deleted, and the Dropbox icon switched to the correct, fully synced status.
Seems those other 2 (3??) files - small ISO file, very small .H file - could not sync, because they were AFTER the phrases.pxp file in the Dropbox Sync queue, not due to any issue with their file names or contents/etc. 🙂 As the phrases.pxp file could not sync, they could not sync too.

4) I was very worried Dropbox deleted this very important file of mine, but I went to Dropbox online and file was still there - it was NOT in the Trash.
So, I quit the Dropbox PC app, ran it again and the file got redownloaded, and showed in the Recent section as well.

THREE suggestions I have, please:
* Dropbox should handle files with wrong NTFS permissions like this file of mine much better. I suggest for a popup/tooltip to show, saying something like:
"Your file [exact file name and location in Dropbox folder here] is not able to sync due to incorrect NTFS permissions. Please fix the permissions and try again."
* Dropbox should NOT delete my local file this way. It should either properly keep it, OR if not, at least a prompt should show - "Dropbox status changed for file [file name goes here], please restart Dropbox to update."
* It would be nice to be able to see any/all unsynced/unsyncable files in one place in the new Dropbox Desktop app, with the respective icons too - the blue not synced icon, or the red crossmark unsyncable icon.
This way users would not need to "hunt" for the problem files looking folder by folder, but would have them all conveniently in 1 location.

I hope this helps you help others with similar Dropbox sync issues with file with RED crossmark icon on it. 🙂

View solution in original post

Fiona
Dropboxer

Thanks for reporting your response did not show up. 

So happy to have this thread closed with this helpful and detailed response! :grin:

Thank you once more @Naki B. See you around in the Community!

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

Naki B.
Helpful | Level 6

You are quite welcome, Fiona! 🙂 I am glad you found my reply helpful.
Have a nice day and a great weekend. 🙂 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Naki B. Helpful | Level 6
    Fiona Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?