cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox syncs all files everytime I open the Application

Dropbox syncs all files everytime I open the Application

ppossik
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I use my dropbox account on both my macbook and a PC (Windows) at work. In both computers, I have installed the Dropbox App so I can sync all my folders. It does sync, but the problem is that it does not seem to be selective to the files that were modified.  It syncs all the 3000 files I have in the Dropbox folder and it takes very long!!! Is it normal or is there something I can do so it will only sync files and folders that were changed somehow?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey peeps!

@ppossik - Please bear in mind that many processes on your computer may look at files that you may not have manually opened and, in order to fulfill these requests, Dropbox syncs the files. Examples include:
  • Backup services.
  • Antivirus.
  • Recently used file lists.
  • Third party applications that monitor files in general.
@jennpick - I also wanted to mention that when you open a file on your Dropbox folder that is set with Smart Sync to be online-only, that file needs to be downloaded (local) in order to be accessible. 

This is due to the idea that while online-only files are visible on your computer, the data isn’t all downloaded. In order for a file to be downloaded, you need to have it as local

If I’ve misunderstood your concern(s), please provide a bit more info and any screenshots (omitting personal info) that illustrate this behavior would be very helpful. Cheers! :grinning:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the swift response, @jennpick

Initially, please note that Smart Sync allows you to save space on your hard drive and, from what I understand, you have set up for new files to be set as local. To change this so that you have new files synced to your Dropbox folder to be online-only, check out this article

However, please note that when you add a file to your Dropbox folder from your computer, the file is available locally and thus set as local. When you open a file locally, the file is set to local so that you are able to edit the file. Once you’re done, you can set it back to online-only again. 

As for the settings applied by the admin, please remember that they are able to set a default option for files to be downloaded either as online-only or local. You can find more info on this here

Let me know if you have any other questions or if I missed anything out! :slight_smile:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

jennpick
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Mine is suddenly doing the same. Each time I click on a file to load into In Design, it has to wait for Smart Sync to load the items in the entire folder. This just started happening. Following your convo.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey peeps!

@ppossik - Please bear in mind that many processes on your computer may look at files that you may not have manually opened and, in order to fulfill these requests, Dropbox syncs the files. Examples include:
  • Backup services.
  • Antivirus.
  • Recently used file lists.
  • Third party applications that monitor files in general.
@jennpick - I also wanted to mention that when you open a file on your Dropbox folder that is set with Smart Sync to be online-only, that file needs to be downloaded (local) in order to be accessible. 

This is due to the idea that while online-only files are visible on your computer, the data isn’t all downloaded. In order for a file to be downloaded, you need to have it as local

If I’ve misunderstood your concern(s), please provide a bit more info and any screenshots (omitting personal info) that illustrate this behavior would be very helpful. Cheers! :grinning:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

jennpick
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks Lusil,

My settings, it is set to "local download" and the admin on the site says she hasn't changed anything. Is it possible that there is a setting on their end that is causing mine to download as a smart sync. I do see a message saying the "team" is set to smart sync. Can I override that on my end?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the swift response, @jennpick

Initially, please note that Smart Sync allows you to save space on your hard drive and, from what I understand, you have set up for new files to be set as local. To change this so that you have new files synced to your Dropbox folder to be online-only, check out this article

However, please note that when you add a file to your Dropbox folder from your computer, the file is available locally and thus set as local. When you open a file locally, the file is set to local so that you are able to edit the file. Once you’re done, you can set it back to online-only again. 

As for the settings applied by the admin, please remember that they are able to set a default option for files to be downloaded either as online-only or local. You can find more info on this here

Let me know if you have any other questions or if I missed anything out! :slight_smile:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Anjb90
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Did you ever find a solution to this? I’m having the same problem. I’m changing my photo storage to the cloud and trying to move from PC to Mac, so I want to make sure everything from my PC is uploaded before I delete it, but it isn’t prioritizing files that haven’t been uploaded and instead is checking all files.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I'm sorry for the late response @Anjb90; are you still having issues with this?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Anjb90
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Nope! Ended up chatting in and had to fix the hard links and permissions and now it works as it should!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Ah, glad to hear that @Anjb90.

See you around the Community and have a lovely weekend!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Anjb90 Explorer | Level 3
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?