cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox taking too much space

Dropbox taking too much space

New member | Level 2

I accidentially downloaded my Dropbox files locally rather than online only. How do I reverse this? Do I have to remove all the files from my hard drive? The files are taking 30gb of space on my hard drive.

3 Replies 3

Re: Dropbox taking too much space

Dropboxer

Hi @dmorreale, I'd be happy to help!

To save space on your local hard drive, you can use selective sync, which removes whole folders from your computer, but keeping them available on the website.

If you're on a paid subscription, you can also use Smart Sync, which leaves a placeholder of your files locally and reduces the amount of space they take up on your device. 

Have a look at the links I've included in my post and let me know if you have any other questions. 

Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

Thanks! I tried changing each folder to online only. I double click the blue circle and it says smart sync --> online only. I clicked that, but it seems they are still on my computer. How do I know when they move online only?

Dropboxer

When a file or folder is set to online-only, it will have a grey syncing icon with a white cloud on it. 

Could you send me a screenshot of what your syncing icons look like?

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?