cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox won't let us lock files in the macOS Finder anymore!

Dropbox won't let us lock files in the macOS Finder anymore!

Helpful | Level 5

We're using macOS 10.15.5 and Dropbox v102.3.429. 

Dropbox will no longer let us lock files in the macOS Finder anymore!

In the macOS Finder, when we choose "Get Info" for a file that is sitting in a Dropbox folder, and we check the "Locked" checkbox, the checkbox IMMEDIATELY gets unchecked.

However, if we move that file out of the Dropbox folder (for example, if we move the file onto the desktop), then we are able to lock the file just fine.

But — if we try to move that locked file back into the Dropbox folder, we are unable to move that locked file back into the Dropbox folder. Dropbox requires us to make a copy of the file and make it unlocked, before it will let us move that file back into the Dropbox folder.

Can you please fix?

Thanks!

7 Replies 7

Re: Dropbox won't let us lock files in the macOS Finder anymore!

Dropboxer

Hi @scotty321, thanks for posting today!

It looks like you’re running the beta version of the Dropbox desktop application.

Could to you try and install our latest stable version by visiting this page and switch ‘Early releases’ to Off.

Afterwards, re-download the app from here and let me know how it goes.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks, @Jay !

I just turned off "Early Releases", and I installed version 102.4.431.

Same problem remains, although here's an important point that I didn't mention earlier:

I'm trying to lock an Apple Keynote file, which is a .key document. 

I'm wondering if Dropbox doesn't fully support Keynote files for locking in the Finder?

Thanks,

Scott

Dropboxer

Are you able to lock any other filetypes in your Dropbox folder?

Since these are technically package files, they are a folder in reality with various files and subfolders containing the various parts of the Keynote. Perhaps this could be the reason for what you're experiencing. 

Keep me posted!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 5

Oh, duh!! I should've checked other files before ever posting here!

Okay, I can confirm that Dropbox will NOT let me lock ANY of my files that are within my Dropbox folder at all. It doesn't make a difference what type of file it is — PDF, JPG, TIF, DOCS, CSV, TXT, KEY, etc.

I tried locking about 15 different files, and none of them can lock. 

So I'm assuming, then, that this is a restriction of Dropbox? Files can't be locked if you want them inside your Dropbox folder?

Dropboxer

Hi there @scotty321, just jumping in here!

What you're seeing here would actually be expected behaviour if you have specific rights to the files/folders within Dropbox. When you're locking the folders in your Finder window, you're essentially changing the permissions to "Can view".

If, through Dropbox, you have editing rights to the folder then this is why the permissions are changed back and the lock on the folder removed. This is why you're able to lock those same files/folders when they're no longer in Dropbox, as the permissions aren't being synced.

If you want to change the permissions to the files, you'll need to change this within Dropbox so they can sync correctly. If it's shared data, you can change the permissions through the "Share" option for the selected content.

Otherwise, I can suggest having a look at the file locking feature from Dropbox here.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Helpful | Level 5

For anybody on the Internet reading this thread:

Please note that Dropbox does NOT support the locking of files in the macOS Finder. If you have a file in Dropbox on your Mac, you will be unable to lock the file on your computer. You are required to move the file out of your Dropbox folder in order to lock the file. 

Explorer | Level 4

I often lock my own Word files once editing is complete and content has been moved to other programs, to remind myself that changes need to be applied elsewhere. Not being able to do this anymore is a major showstopper for me - and may well lead to me leaving the Dropbox platform. It is unacceptable that Dropbox imposes criteria that are above and beyond the individual system file permissions. 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?