cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate Folder contents

Duplicate Folder contents

Anjistar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

hello,

I have a large amount of music, in folders by artist and subfolders by album, on an external hard drive that I would like to copy to my Dropbox.

Some of them are already on my Dropbox but may not be updated.

How do I upload folders with the same name as ones already there, updating to include new songs/albums, without duplicating them or their contents?

Is it possible to do this as in Windows where it checks if you want to skip, replace

or overwrite?

Thank you.

13 Replies 13

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@Здравко Thank you for your input! :slight_smile:

@Anjistar Have you tried the features that can save your hard drive space? If not, please take the time to check them out: Selective Sync, Smart Sync

I am suggesting the Dropbox desktop app because the website has limitations on uploads. Read about this here. 

Finally, @Allan G. I would like to add that dragging the existing files in the Dropbox folder, would take less time, than uploading online and manually deleting the files from your drive. 

Note: :pushpin:

1. You will not need to wait with your browser open for the syncing to complete.
  2. You can set up settings for the desktop app to sync faster. 
  3. The local copies can be removed by our system automatically with syncing features. Please check Selective Sync and Smart Sync using the hyperlinks offered above. 

Hope this is helpful everyone. 

Keep in touch! :grin: Would love to get more feedback on this and provide a solution any other concerns. 

Thank you!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Anjistar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Thanks for your reply, Fiona, I have already done all the selective syncing I can do, but I will try the smart sync option and get back to you.

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for your kind response. :relieved:

If you need any hep with this we are always here for you!

Have a nice weekend. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

merrysherry
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Syncing - whether Selective or "Smart" has not worked out well for me. I'm in the same situation of wanting to manually load to Dropbox and having to go through the tedious process of identifying anything with a "(1)" to delete them en masse. The prior Dropbox setup allowed me to sync without having issues of inadvertently having things end up on Dropbox rather than my machine and using too much space on my pc as well. I personally do WANT two copies - the ones on my own PC and the ones within Dropbox because I need the ability to access files when on other devices and I also wish to keep many files safe should I have an equipment issue. I had tried the backup process with the new Dropbox app and that ended up being a nightmare and undoing it took hours. So now I have completely removed the desktop app and I work solely on the web. I sincerely wish that Dropbox would make the web version easier as I suspect that many users would prefer that environment overall to some of the issues with the new app. Just chiming in here because I think it is important that people understand that not everyone wants software to make decisions on their files, file structure, ability to store, update, etc. One of the greater advantages to Dropbox has been the control of the file owners.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

merrysherry Helpful | Level 6
    Fiona Dropbox Staff
    Anjistar Helpful | Level 6
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?