cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Duplicate camera uploads with Samsung Galaxy S7

Helpful | Level 5

I'd reply here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Syncing-and-uploads/Please-Help-Camera-Upload-reuploading-duplicate-...

but there isn't a reply button.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7. I recently upgraded to DropBox Pro and turned on Camera Uploads. Rather than upload 10 GB over WiFi, I connected my phone via USB to a Win10 laptop (Lenovo T460s), manually copied photos and videos from the phone to my PC, and DropBox started syncing. At some point, DropBox started creating duplicates of every file, with slightly altered file names. I didn't copy them over.

Phone file name: 20171013_002741.mp4

Altered file name: 2017-10-13 00.28.48.mp4

The files have the same size in bytes, so unlike the linked post above, no metadata is being added or removed. I have turned off 'Create Albums' on my phone anyway.

dropbox.png

Is there a file name change that occurs with uploading over WiFi that (obviously) doesn't occur when the files are copied manually?

Hardware:

MBP 5,1 w/OS X 10.10

XPS13 9350 dual boot Win10/Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Lenovo T460s Win10

Samsung Galaxy S7

TIA.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Duplicate camera uploads with Samsung Galaxy S7

Helpful | Level 5

I appreciate your time. I've filed a support request with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

wrote:

Is there a file name change that occurs with uploading over WiFi that (obviously) doesn't occur when the files are copied manually?

Yes. When a photo or video is uploaded using the Camera Uploads process, it will be renamed. This happens either through the Camera Uploads process in the Dropbox app on your phone, or when you plug the phone into a computer and allow Camera Uploads in the Dropbox desktop client to upload the files (but not when you manually copy them from the phone).

Note that if you do manually copy photos or videos from the phone and then later enable Camera Uploads, the Camera Uploads process won't know that you've already copied files manually, so it will likely upload those same files again, renaming them in the process.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Okay... so how do I fix it?

Why is the file name changed?

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
There's nothing to fix. The file name change is intended, and is done to ensure that files are not overwritten when uploaded to your account.

Assume two devices uploading to your account, and they both have a photo or video with the same name. If both devices try to upload the file, one would overwrite the other. Instead, Dropbox renames the file using a date/time stamp as the chances of both files having the exact same time stamp is pretty slim, compared to both phones having something like IMG_0123.jpg.
Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5
Fair enough. I've used 'filename-1.ext' as a workaround for that issue, usually, but I at least understand the purpose behind Dropbox's logic.

The "fix," as it were, is to delete every file and wait for it to upload over wifi.
Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I spoke too soon.

Having deleted all photos and videos from the Camera Uploads folder on DropBox, how do I restart the photo sync process so I end up with just one copy of each file? I deleted the photos, turn camera uploads off, rebooted all four devices, and turned camera uploads back on. AFAICT, nothing is happening.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
Camera Uploads will not upload a photo or video that it has already uploaded once before. The only way to have it upload files that have already been uploaded is to have Dropbox Support reset your Camera Uploads.
Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

That has not been my experience. After I deleted all files yesterday and (re-) copied them manually, Camera Uploads uploaded a 2nd copy, a 2nd time.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

I can say with 100% certainty, and Dropbox has confirmed this in the past, that the automatic Camera Uploads process (CU, from here on) will not upload a photo or video that it has already uploaded once before. This does not apply to you uploading a file manually and then CU uploading it again. That would still be a single upload from the automated process.

If you've uploaded files through the automatic CU process and then deleted them from the CU folder in your account, they will not be automatically uploaded by CU again with first being reset by Dropbox Support.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I appreciate your time. I've filed a support request with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?