cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Re: Duplicate file finder for Dropbox Online-Only files?

Duplicate file finder for Dropbox Online-Only files?

lysakowski
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I need a way to find duplicate files for those files in folders that are ONLY online in Dropbox, i.e., those that are Selectively Synchronized so they don't exist on my local computer.  

I have 850,000 files on Dropbox and I need to find and delete duplicates in an easy to use manner.  The earlier "solution" of using 3rd party tools to find duplicates of files in the Windows File System is not a good approach at all.  Using the Windows File System requires a (potentially lengthy process) to copy all folder down from Dropbox, and then run the Third-party tool to find duplicates, deal with the duplicates, and then resynchronize the Dropbox File System and the Windows File System.  

Heavy Dropbox users with a lot of files need something better !!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Vicker wrote:

If you are using Dropbox Pro or Business, you may wanna check out the Smart Sync feature. ... Afterwards, you may make use of 3rd party tool to help you perform the deduplication process.

@lysakowski

If you're using a third-party tool against the local Dropbox folder, when the compare process runs it will attempt access the online-only files which will trigger Dropbox to download them back to the computer, defeating the purpose of Smart Sync.

There really isn't a viable way to run deduplication locally against files that are only stored within Dropbox. You'll need to find a third-party tool that uses the Dropbox API to access your files directly. Do a Google search for "cloud duplicate finder" and you'll find some options that may work. Just know that third-party apps are not supported by Dropbox. If you have any issues, you'll need to contact the developer.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Vicker
Super User
Go to solution

Hi @lysakowski,

May I know what subscription you are on? If you are using Dropbox Pro or Business, you may wanna check out the Smart Sync feature.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/smart-sync

Dropbox Smart Sync allows you to sync just the folder and file structure to my desktop without the actual file content. The sync should be done fairly quickly. Afterwards, you may make use of 3rd party tool to help you perform the deduplication process. Though the effectiveness really depends on how the 3rd party tool performs.

Cheers

Vicker

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Vicker wrote:

If you are using Dropbox Pro or Business, you may wanna check out the Smart Sync feature. ... Afterwards, you may make use of 3rd party tool to help you perform the deduplication process.

@lysakowski

If you're using a third-party tool against the local Dropbox folder, when the compare process runs it will attempt access the online-only files which will trigger Dropbox to download them back to the computer, defeating the purpose of Smart Sync.

There really isn't a viable way to run deduplication locally against files that are only stored within Dropbox. You'll need to find a third-party tool that uses the Dropbox API to access your files directly. Do a Google search for "cloud duplicate finder" and you'll find some options that may work. Just know that third-party apps are not supported by Dropbox. If you have any issues, you'll need to contact the developer.

DougCollier08
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am interested to know what solution you found. I have the same problem.

Doug Collier [personal information removed by moderation for security reasons]

mjackie46
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I found that I couldn't access the on line dropbox files.  

Need more support?