cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Duplicate photos and "vcm" added to my filenames (?)

Helpful | Level 5

Hoping somebody is familiar with this particular situation!

I have almost 33 GBs of photos on my old PC and am currently in the process of transferring them to my new PC. Both computers have dropbox installed to the desktop and so I moved my entire photos folder into dropbox for easy transfer. The files are still syncing to dropbox, but I can see that within each photo folder I had, I now have the original image files and also a matching number of folders, each named identically for every photo. Inside each of these folders are two duplicates of the original photo: one smaller and one the same size as the original. Both these duplicate photos have "vcm" at the start of the filename. Additionally, in some of my photo folders on the dropbox server, I only have the strange duplicate folders instead of the actual original image files.

Are these duplicates temporary files that will be erased once everything is synced? Or am I going to have to manually delete all of these? What are they??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Duplicate photos within folders?

Helpful | Level 5
Figured out that the PC I had before my current "old PC" was responsible for this. I had a Sony Vaio some years ago and, for whatever reason, all media on the hard drive gets duplicated like this. The duplicate files were previously hidden and so I didn't see them until they were appearing in dropbox now. All media files originating from my non-Sony laptop's hard drive don't have this problem. Solution is just to let the syncing finish and then manually delete all the folders containing the vcm images. All the correct image files are where they're supposed to be.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @rmdwivedy. Sorry to hear you are having trouble. 

Were the photos you dropped in your local Dropbox folder, already uploaded to Dropbox? If they were, dropping them in the new device, would re-upload them and it would make sense to have duplicates. But is this the case? The Dropbox desktop app can automatically sync the files from one device to the other. No need to manually transfer them. 

We can perform a restoration to fix this for you. Please contact our team for this, here.

Before you get this fixed with our restoration team, would it be possible to share screenshots of the duplicate files and folders? I would like to investigate more. The "vcm" addition to your file names, is something that Dropbox cannot do. 

Do you have a VCM Remote Client installed on this device maybe? 

Thanks!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Reply got mysteriously deleted, so I'm pasting it in again.

I had nothing at all in dropbox initially. I am aware that the files will sync across devices once successfully uploaded to the server, but I don't want to store my photos on the dropbox server. I want them on my new PC hard drive only and I was hoping to escape the hassle of using a USB to transfer files between my PCs. I'm using dropbox currently as a means of transfer.

The following screenshots are captured from my new PC's dekstop dropbox. The issue I'm describing is not on my original PC's desktop dropbox.

dropbox1.PNG

In this screenshot, you can see that in this original photo folder, I now have file folders named like the original images. Each of these folders contains two copies of the same photo. I also have the original images in the original photo folder, as they were supposed to be.

dropbox2.PNG

Here is a screenshot of the contents of the duplicate folders. As you can see, one image is thumbnail sized and the other is the same as the original. Both have "vcm" at the beginning. I am not familiar with a VCM Remote Client and have not installed anything like that on my new PC.  I know for a fact that this development is somehow due to dropbox, as the files didn't exist prior to me using dropbox.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thank you for the helpful screenshots @rmdwivedy

Maybe our spam filter caught your response, by mistake. Thanks for reporting. 

The folders I see here are not normal Dropbox folders. These are files containing other files.  also see that the duplicate files report to have a different quality as well. You can see it in their names. 

There is definitely a third a party app involved with this result. In this case, the files are uploaded this way and a restoration might not help. Please search for apps that create this vcm. extension online. This will help you understand which of your apps caused this. 

Finally, if your don't want to use a USB, uploading to the Dropbox server for the Dropbox desktop app to show you your files to your other computer, is a one way street. I can't think of another way you could do this. 

I hope this info helps! 

Fiona

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5
Figured out that the PC I had before my current "old PC" was responsible for this. I had a Sony Vaio some years ago and, for whatever reason, all media on the hard drive gets duplicated like this. The duplicate files were previously hidden and so I didn't see them until they were appearing in dropbox now. All media files originating from my non-Sony laptop's hard drive don't have this problem. Solution is just to let the syncing finish and then manually delete all the folders containing the vcm images. All the correct image files are where they're supposed to be.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for posting the whole story and how you resolved this @rmdwivedy 

If you need more help you know where to find us. 

Happy Friday! 

Fiona

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?