cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERROR: 0X80070780 File cannot be opened by the system

danens1863
New member | Level 2

Greetings,

The frequency of the following error is occurring more and more:

Trying to open several PDFs and it says it is impossible to do.  It feels like the I am working off a corrupted hard drive.  This strikes at the heart and soul of using Dropbox as it quickly leads to the conclusion that Dropbox "Cannot Be Trusted".

Cannot see anything I am doing wrong.  Help would be "Much, Much Apreciated"

Thank you very much, Dan

2 Replies 2

Re: ERROR: 0X80070780 File cannot be opened by the system

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @danens1863,

I agree with you, that many new "features" of Dropbox look like bugs. According your description, seems you are disturbing by a bug with name "Smart Sync". Very poorly implemented and as a result such issues come up. If you can, turn this feature (bug) off. If you need to save disk space, considered "Selective Sync". As a last resort (you can't live without "Smart Sync") make sure the files you are working on are set 'local' in advance. 🤷 That's all you can do with Dropbox right now.

Good luck.

Re: ERROR: 0X80070780 File cannot be opened by the system

GGAnderson
New member | Level 2

The problem is related to credentials.  Dropbox app in Windows uses onedrive to create a virtual drive.  You want to be sure that you are logged into onedrive with credentials that grant you access to the windows local drives or Adobe apps you expect to use. 

Best to uninstall and reinstall the dropbox app, and it should reset credentials.   Worked for me.

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?