cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERROR: 0X80070780 File cannot be opened by the system

danens1863
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Greetings,

The frequency of the following error is occurring more and more:

Trying to open several PDFs and it says it is impossible to do.  It feels like the I am working off a corrupted hard drive.  This strikes at the heart and soul of using Dropbox as it quickly leads to the conclusion that Dropbox "Cannot Be Trusted".

Cannot see anything I am doing wrong.  Help would be "Much, Much Apreciated"

Thank you very much, Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Larzous
New member | Level 2

I was able to fix this -- you have to uninstall (reboot) and then re-install dropbox.  That re-installed all the permission stuff and got it working.  Sadly there is no 'repair' option and I just went right for uninstall/reinstall.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @danens1863,

I agree with you, that many new "features" of Dropbox look like bugs. According your description, seems you are disturbing by a bug with name "Smart Sync". Very poorly implemented and as a result such issues come up. If you can, turn this feature (bug) off. If you need to save disk space, considered "Selective Sync". As a last resort (you can't live without "Smart Sync") make sure the files you are working on are set 'local' in advance. 🤷 That's all you can do with Dropbox right now.

Good luck.

GGAnderson
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The problem is related to credentials.  Dropbox app in Windows uses onedrive to create a virtual drive.  You want to be sure that you are logged into onedrive with credentials that grant you access to the windows local drives or Adobe apps you expect to use. 

Best to uninstall and reinstall the dropbox app, and it should reset credentials.   Worked for me.

Roger H.15
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I can see this error as well. It has corrupted all my photos which is causing now a very painful process. Thank god I have a cold back up - I dont think I will use Dropbox for photo any longer. Its just very poor management and user experience.

I also have not been able to fix it and I dont want to involve Microsoft windows or any other software, I bought drobox because I want to use that one application - not be forced to use others.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Roger H.15, hope it’s OK if I jump in! 

Would it be possible to provide a screenshot of any errors you keep receiving when trying to open your files? 

Also, does this happen specifically for files that are set as Online-only or for local ones, too? 

Let me know!

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Roger H.15
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Nancy Thanks for your response. It seems to be a problem when I view photos on my PC (Dell Laptop running windows 10 and link to dropbox. When I go into dropbox directly thankfully all photos are there.

RogerH15_0-1643411530353.png

and

RogerH15_1-1643411570743.png

any advice or assistance would really be appreciated. Not sure what triggered this corruption, It could have been a recent windows upgrade, as they used to work for many years very nicely.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Roger H.15, happy Monday!

Are you able to open your files when they are set to local?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Roger H.15
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi

Yes but I have to individually click each picture and ask for local. Not sure why this changed but its quite painful. It is a real issue in the file manager - I can see them all if I go into drobox directly.

Larzous
New member | Level 2

I'm getting this error.  I'm trying to move an 'online-only' file to a different folder via cut/paste and it isn't working on my laptop.  When I'm at home on my top tier PC I don't have issues, but on this laptop I'm getting errors.  -- Obviously I can download and move the file.  But I don't want to do that on my limited bandwidth when I'm not home.  

Why can I not move files that are 'online-only'?  Is there a setting I'm missing?  All it should be doing is updating metadata on files and tell dropbox to move then.  I can normally do this, but on this PC I can't.

I also want to delete a file, but it won't let me.

Larzous_0-1692545690470.png

Larzous_0-1692545981508.png

Not applicable

I've recently had the same issue and fully agree with Здравко.

To make sure that I can open an online only file I have to first set it to be "Make Available Offline". The type of files affected were JPG's and Zip's - compressed data.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Larzous New member | Level 2
    anonymous Not applicable
    Roger H.15 Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?