cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit File Access in View Only Shared Folder

JB-K
Explorer | Level 3

Dear Friends,

I have shared a folder to few members with View Only Access. I have few excel files in this folder. I want to give Edit Access to a particular member. I ter giving this access, member is still not able to Edit this excel file. File opens as Read Only.

Can anubody help to fix this problem.

Thanks in Advance.

7 Replies 7

Re: Edit File Access in View Only Shared Folder

JB-K
Explorer | Level 3

Shared Folder has a sub folder. This sub folder contains Excel Files. Some members will have View Only Access as per the Parent Folder.

One member is expected to edit the file. He has a problem, because in spite of giving him Edit Access, his file opens as Read Only ???

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @JB-K,

Initially, please ensure that you've given the user in question edit access to the shared folder as per this article

If they do have edit permissions to the shared folder, could you please clarify for me how they are trying to edit the file? Is it through the website, the desktop app, or the mobile app?

Any additional info would be very helpful. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

JB-K
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Lusil for your response.

Folder has View Access. 

By default all members in a shared folder with "View" Access, get view acces to all files in the folder. Then for one file I have changed access of one member from "View" to "Edit"

But this not working.

What I want to achieve is "View" access to all members but "Edit" access to one member

Hope I am able to clarify. Thanks

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for your swift reply, @JB-K.

To change the permissions of one member, ensure that you've followed these steps:

1. Sign in to the website.
  2. Click on the Files tab.
  3. Navigate to the shared folder in question.
  4. Click on the Share button that appears on the right side of the folder when you hover over it.
  5. Locate the name of the member you want to give edit permissions to. 
  6. Click on option that shows their current status and select Can edit.

If you've done this and they are still unable to edit the file in that shared folder, could you please confirm the following for me?

• Where are they trying to edit the file from? Is it from the website, the desktop app, or the mobile app?
  • Is the file itself stating that it's a read-only copy or is it giving them an error?

Any additional info and screenshots (without any personal info) would be very helpful so as to have a better understanding of the behavior they are experiencing. Thanks in advance!

Lusil

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

JB-K
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil,

Members are using Desktop App. Excel File is NOT Read Only. However the member who has edit access for this file, opens Read Only File. He is not able to edit and save the changes to the shared file.

Unfortunately I won't be able to share screen shots with you since this this is not working time for the members.

Thanks

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

No worries, @JB-K!

Since the other user is having trouble with the file in question, I'd recommend for them to submit a ticket to our Support team due to account-specific info that'll be necessary to further investigate this matter.

If there's anything else I can help with though or if you have any other questions in the meantime, please don't hesitate to get back to me. 

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil

JB-K
Explorer | Level 3

Fine Lusil,

I have also experienced similar problem. I will do the needful as suggested by you tomorrow.

Thanks !!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?