cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Edit an Excel file without Dropbox application

Edit an Excel file without Dropbox application

Uriel1
Helpful | Level 6

Hello,

I am using Dropbox in my home, while my most of the time I'm editing an Excel file, and save it into Dropbox folder.

Nowadays, I started a new work, while I cannot install the Dropbox application, due to internal regulations.

How can I edit an Excel file, on Excel application, without downloading Dropbox application, easily?

The best is to have a download link, so once I click this link, it will open the file in Excel application (neither Sheets nor Excel in the Web), I'll edit my Excel file, and once I click save -> it will save the file in Dropbox web.

Is that possible?

If not, what are my other alternatives? (Beside downloading the file, edit, and upload the file, which is time consuming processes...)

Thanks, Uriel

10 Replies 10

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hello @Uriel1, thanks for checking back in with us!

Generally, if you edit a file locally without having the Dropbox app installed, you'll have to manually upload it through the web to make sure that it's added to your account. 

However, you should be able to make changes to your Excel sheets online.

Are you having trouble accessing and editing it online? 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Uriel1
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Lusil,

Thanks for your comment. I would prefer to edit my workbook locally (I don't like the Excel web integration, but maybe it's only me 🙂

Is there any way to save the local Excel workbook via a link or a cloud-path, so it will save the file into my directory? (For example, I can save my file into OneDrive, via the save as text box). is that exists for Dropbox as well?

Thanks,

Uriel

Lusil
Dropboxer
There's currently no option to edit a file locally and sync it directly to the website without having the desktop app installed.

However, you could create a file request to the folder you want this file to be added to, and send it to yourself. 

That way, you can edit the Excel sheet locally, and upload it to your account via the link, without accessing your account from the web.

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Uriel1
Helpful | Level 6

Ok, thanks!

Lusil
Dropboxer
Happy to help! If anything else pops up in the future, just give us another nudge. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely weekend ahead of you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Uriel1
Helpful | Level 6

Hey Lusli,

Thanks for your greetings!
Another issue pops up: In one PC, I have the ability to open the file in Excel for the web, Google Sheets and Excel application as well. On another PC, I can see only two options: Google Sheets & Excel for the web. Why I can't find the Excel application in that PC?

Thanks, Uriel

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Uriel1, if the Dropbox desktop application installed on that PC, and signed into the same Dropbox account?

This is a requirement for that option to appear on the Dropbox site. Which browser are you using on that machine?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Uriel1
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Jay,

Dropbox app is not installed in that machine (due to IT regulations. That's the reason I'm looking for alternatives to save excel files easily).

I'm using Chrome.

Thanks,

Uriel

Jay
Dropboxer
Okay, well that's the reason why you don't see the option. It only works if the official desktop version of the app is installed on either a Windows or Mac device.

Since this isn't possible, you'll need to download files from the site manually, edit the file, and then upload it back into the same location, as there isn't another method to do what you're asking.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Need more support?