cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Edit files in vault on Windows

Edit files in vault on Windows

Silviu C.
Helpful | Level 6

I've looked into new Dropbox plus features this morning, tried out the new Vault feature. I've realized that, when you are on Windows, there is no way to edit the files you have in the Vault. You can do this on Android with the Dropbox app, because the app has a text editor, but on Windows the way to edit files is to opened the sync file on your machine. However, the Vault folder does not get synced. Text files can't be edited in the browser in Dropbox, so the only options for editing the files in the Vault right now seems to be to move them out of the Vault, edit them, move them back in the Vault.

Maybe someone has looked into this more. Is there a way to edit those files without moving them? Is there any plan to implement something to permit this (the Vault is a new feature)? Or will there be an option in the future to sync the Vault folder to Windows (while keeping it secure)?

7 Replies 7

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Silviu C.; thanks for posting on our Community and trying out our new Vault feature. 

It's true that our vault can only be opened from dropbox.com and the Dropbox mobile app at this time while there's also an entry point from the desktop that will take you to dropbox.com.

If you'd like to suggest a change to the feature, I'd recommend posting your idea in the following section of our Community so other users can upvote it to show their interest and share their own thoughts on this:

I hope this helps a tad and please let me know if you have anything else to ask or add; I'll be happy to follow up. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

cjvandijk
Helpful | Level 5

I noticed this same issue. Some files I'd put in vault are not ones I would edit, but there are some that I'd like to edit daily, yet still have the extra security of vault. I thought I was missing something so glad to see that this was posted. 

GuidoBayes
New member | Level 2

I agree; have the same problem with a file excel containing financial data which I just moved to Vault. It would be helpful to be able to edit it, at least occasionally from within Vault, but thta's not possible. Hope it will be soon.

Silviu C.
Helpful | Level 6

I only had time to follow back today. I created an entry on Dropbox Ideas for this feature: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Edit-Vault-Files-on-Desktop/idi-p/448356

Anyone interested can vote on that page.

As a larger context, I am excited about the new features Dropbox is starting to roll out, the Passwords app, the Vault, but I feel they are still in the early stages. If they get developed more, I could move from using LastPass to these new Dropbox features. Both Dropbox features would be required to replace LastPass, since LastPass allows storing notes along with passwords, so on the Dropbox side I could store my secure notes in the Vault and use the Passwords app to store my passwords. But editing those secure notes on any device should be easy to use for this be a good solution.

jennipmac
New member | Level 2

I just voted for this.  I keep my company's secure information like account numbers there and I need to be able to add to the documents.  I'm surprised they rolled out this feature without that capability.

srfriggen
New member | Level 2

Can you tell me how to move files or folders out of the vault?

Silviu C.
Helpful | Level 6

You can do that in a browser on your computer. Go to the Dropbox website, Log In, then click "All Files", look for the "Vault" entry and click on it, then enter your PIN. When you are in the Vault, every file or folder in the list will have a "..." button on the right-hand side of the file name. Click on that, select "Move" from the menu and choose a location that is outside the Vault, like the Dropbox root folder.

Need more support?