cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edited docs have wrong timestamp

Edited docs have wrong timestamp

Helpful | Level 6

I posted for few months ago that I share folder is not giving me notifications when content is addedt. I now have a new issue with that same shared folder. Documents that I edit in Microsoft Word using my Windows 10 pc, have timestamps for changes and comments that are crazily wrong. It shows edits were made in Dec of 1969! I have been working on the dog since Sept 7. The file on my pc shows the correct timestamp but Dropbox is, needless to say, waaaayyyyyy off. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Edited docs have wrong timestamp

Helpful | Level 6

Success! After I did the update that came through this afternoon and when I open the document, the timestamp was showing the correct information.

Thanks for your help and suggestions, everyone. 

KJ

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Dropboxer

Hi @kayjay1109, thanks for messaging today!

I'm sorry to hear about this. Could you try changing the timezone on the Dropbox site and then back to the original to see if this helps?

Are you only seeing the 1969 date on the site, or elsewhere on your machine in the Dropbox folder?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 6

Changing the time zone through the website didn't do anything. This is a document that I'm actually editing in Word. When I go into Dropbox on my PC and open the document, it automatically opens in Word, either the Word app or Word on the web. If I open it on my PC using Dropbox preview, I get the comments but no timestamp. Word doesn't show timestamps unless a significant amount of time it passed  between when the comment was made and you are viewing it. Of the timestamps that I can see, they are all correct when I am looking at the document in Word. When I open the document in Dropbox on my Android devices, it doesn't go through Word, it opens directly in Dropbox. All of the timestamps say December 31st, 1969, 7 pm. It doesn't matter if I made the comment last week, or 10 minutes ago. The only place I see same, incorrect timestamp is when I open the document directly in Dropbox on an Android device. When I view the document through Word, either on an Android device or my PC, what timestamps I can see, are correct.

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information on this, @kayjay1109

Have you made sure that you're running the latest versions of the apps, and that you don't have any pending updates on your devices? 

Let us know what you find, cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 6

Everything is the most current version available. 

Dropboxer

In that case, could it be that you're using different versions of the Word app, @kayjay1109

Could you maybe reinstall both apps on the affected devices and let us know if you still notice the same behavior?

Thanks! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Helpful | Level 6
They are different versions. One is the PC version, the other is the Android app version. Both are the most current versions of the applicable application. Again, the document was originally edited on my PC. When I pull the document up on my mobile device using Dropbox, that's when I see the incorrect timestamp. Every time stamp, no matter whether the edits were done within minutes of each other, or days apart, shows the same exact date and time.

Dropboxer

Could you let us know the versions of the apps and the OS that you're running on your devices? 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Helpful | Level 6
The tablet runs Android 7, and Dropbox is version 206. 2.4 and and the computer is running Windows 10, dropbox's version 106.4. 368

Dropboxer

Hi again @kayjay1109; thanks for sticking with us on this one. 

May I have you update the mobile app's version (v.208.2.2 just came out yesterday) and let us know if you still have issues with this? 

In addition, could you confirm your Windows device is running on the 2004 build which was released on May? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?