cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edits to photos not showing when uploaded

Edits to photos not showing when uploaded

Ewjfrmn
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi. I edit photos and then upload them to Dropbox, but when I then open the photo again in Dropbox on my phone it only shows the raw photo and not the edited version. I understand that the edits should be there in the metadata but don’t know how to see them. The phone I’m trying to view them on is the same one on which I took and edited the photos in the first place. Can anyone help please?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Emma
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi @Ewjfrmn!

An update for you, Camera Uploads for iOS should now sync your edited files as well.

With some exceptions; Live and Burst images do not upload, but can be manually uploaded. This limitation comes from how iOS deals with these files.

You can find out more in this post. Hope that helps!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Ewjfrmn - sorry to hear that!

From what I understand you must be referring to iOS filters, right? 

Note that starting from iOS 11, users can add filters on top of their images. The original image is preserved and then the modification is placed over it so, when viewed, the image looks different. Camera uploads syncs the original image, as such we do not sync the applied filter.

If I am missing something here please let me know and provide as much information as possible (and screenshots you think might help) so we can hone in the root cause of this behavior. 

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Ewjfrmn
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hi Walter, thanks for replying.

What I’m taking about are fairly basic edits to photos, mainly cropping the edges, straightening the horizon or magnifying the image. These edits aren’t picked up when the images upload using the Camera Uploads function, but I now discover that if you upload the images manually using the plus sign at the bottom of the screen in Dropbox, then the edits seem to be picked up OK. Maybe that’s the answer?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Yes, that's right @Ewjfrmn - as mentioned, the camera uploads feature will sync any images in their original form.  Camera uploads syncs the original image, without applied filters. This may be more noticeable on Portrait mode on iPhone 7+, where a blur filter is added to alter depth perception on portrait pictures.

As you successfully pointed out, one way to tacke this is manually uploading the files using the plus (+) button when on our app. To do so from the Dropbox application on iPhone:

• Tap the plus (“+”) button
  • Select “Create or Upload File
  • Tap the "Upload File" option to select files to upload. 

Hope this clears things up a bit and let me know if there's anything else I can do. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Ewjfrmn
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Thanks Walter!

studiojbs
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Walter, what about RAW images which have been edited in Camera Raw in Photoshop? When I upload edited RAW images via my desktop, the original image shows up in dropbox, as opposed to the edited one with i.e. exposure and white balance changes.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Could you tell me how exactly are you uploading those photos @studiojbs and provide a screenshot of the problem as well please? 

Also, do you notice the same behavior on all files? 

In addition, even though it's not my field of expertise, I would also check that I have Layers checked in the Save dialog when saving the file in Photoshop in the first place.

I hope this helps to some extent and I will be waiting for your reply to have a better look into this, if needed that is. Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Emma
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi @Ewjfrmn!

An update for you, Camera Uploads for iOS should now sync your edited files as well.

With some exceptions; Live and Burst images do not upload, but can be manually uploaded. This limitation comes from how iOS deals with these files.

You can find out more in this post. Hope that helps!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Emma Community Manager
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    studiojbs New member | Level 2
    Ewjfrmn Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?