cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effect of shared documents when changing email address

Effect of shared documents when changing email address

Explorer | Level 3

I am sharing a number of files with a client. Now that client has changed emails and her previous email will be disactivated soon. I shared all the folders with the client's new but my question is since she is the one who initially shared all the initial documents with me under her previous email would the documents disappear once her previous email gets disactivated?

3 Replies 3

Re: Effect of shared documents when changing email address

Dropboxer

Hi @mdadoun, thanks for your message!

From the sounds of it, both you and the client have separate Dropbox accounts. Did the client change their email on their Dropbox account as well, or just for communication in general?

Did they open a new Dropbox account under the new email instead?

This will help me assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

Yes, both client and I have different accounts. 

The client did not change her email on her dropbox account. I did not even know this could be done. (that could be an other solution - it would be appreciated if you can send me a link on how to do that)

The client created a new email account and I added her to the shared folders that we were already sharing under ther old email. 

Therefore, I believe this resulted in having the client create a new Dropbox account. 

The question now is, when her old email gets dis-activated would that have an effect on the related dropbox account or any files which were shared from that account?

Much appreciated

Dropboxer

No, this shouldn't affect any of the files in the shared folder @mdadoun.

For future reference, you (or she) can change the email address through the account's settings online

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?