cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Emails with shared links bounced back today. Any clues why?

Emails with shared links bounced back today. Any clues why?

Myleen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

When sending a dropbox link in emails today, they bounced back with the error message  "Message content rejected due to suspected spam." This occurred only when including the link, whether from laptop or phone, from either of my email accounts. I have contacted my email provider as well as Microsoft, neither can solve the issue.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Myleen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks Rich for trying to help me.

The problem has been solved.

It was, as suspected, an issue with Telstra ā€“ it just took three days for them to acknowledge that the problem was at their end! I wish their consultants were as knowledgeable & helpful as this community! šŸ™‚ 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Where is the bounce originating from? More than likely it's the recipient's mail server, in which case they'll need to change their spam protection so emails from Dropbox aren't blocked.

Myleen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for the response Rich,

I believe it is from my end as no-one from the list receives it. I even tried sending to another of my addresses & from that other address - same result. I do now think it is a problem generated by my mail server after originally blaming the Windows 10 auto-update for changing my firewall settings, but it fails from my phone too.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

If you view the source code of the bounced message, you should be able to determine exactly where the message is coming from.

Myleen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I am technologically challenged Rich, so no idea of where I'd find that! 

Error message starts with a series of numbers & letters then "Message content rejected due to suspected spam" If that is the code, how would I determine where it came from?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Myleen wrote:

If that is the code, how would I determine where it came from?

By viewing the source code (email headers) of the message. Basically, it's looking at the raw text of the email, including all the header information which shows the path that the email took, and all the responses from the various servers. Once of those servers is the one rejecting the message.

Myleen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I've checked that - on both the message I attempted to send & the response from the System Administrator. but I am none the wiser. What am I looking for in that?  

Myleen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks Rich for trying to help me.

The problem has been solved.

It was, as suspected, an issue with Telstra ā€“ it just took three days for them to acknowledge that the problem was at their end! I wish their consultants were as knowledgeable & helpful as this community! šŸ™‚ 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Myleen Helpful | Level 6
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?