cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emergency - Dropbox lost 2-day file history for a word doc. Deadline ahead

Emergency - Dropbox lost 2-day file history for a word doc. Deadline ahead

silverknight
Explorer | Level 3

Dear All,

I'm using Dropbox Personal for almost 10 years and it's the first time that this happens to me. I need help emergently as I'm facing a deadline. Any suggestion is appreciated! Even a contact phone number in such case would be immensely helpful.

One word doc "A" in a folder has no file history for the past two days while two files (one word "B" one ppt "C") edited at the same time did have file history. After finishing editing "A" yesterday it seems that upon closing it the file content reversed back to 2 days ago, after name changing. Dropbox online does not have file history for the past two days.

Thank you!!

Sincerely,

Xin 

4 Replies 4

Re: Emergency - Dropbox lost 2-day file history for a word doc. Deadline ahead

Mark
Super User II

Hi @silverknight 

Have you searched your computer for it? Maybe a right click and 'restore previous versions' ? 

Unfortunately if there is no activity on the file on Dropbox theres no way to recover it via Dropbox

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

silverknight
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Mark ,

Thank you! I tried very hard to restore with Word and Windows but nothing. Ofc searched the entire drive and didn't find anything. My habit of using Word is to save every 5 minutes so normally when I'm editing for a long period of time there is a ton of dropbox.com version history. This time there was no history for the two-day period (a ton of history for the two files in the same folder that I edited at the same time) when I was writing and saving like crazy. This wouldn't happen without Dropbox - I would have a local copy at least! Dropbox support did respond but was not helpful at all. They couldn't get what's the issue after 4 email exchanges. It's a 20-page long doc! I just want to know what happened and make sure that this does not happen to other folks and certainly not to me again...

Sincerely,

Xin

Mark
Super User II

Dropbox doesnt control the saving on your machine - so if it hasnt saved thats an issue/fault with Word or your computer. 

However, Dropbox itself cannot usually sync while files are open. This is because files cannot sync while another app has a lock on them. So, Dropbox syncs files after Office is closed.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

silverknight
Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox can save a version when the Word is still open and I hit save using Word - this is easily verified. On top of that, for the file that missed two-day version history, I did close it multiple times during the two days so Dropbox should at least have some version history. Not sure if something happens to the database.

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?